Halcyon Explorer 9/21watt HID failure...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer,

At this point it is all up to Halcyon and what they say happened. I have clearly explained, how the light was used for both dives. I am completely baffled as to how it died on the last dive at the end.

User error, I did everything the same as I have done since I first got the light, last April 2009. I don't want this thread to become a pointed blame at user or Halcyon.

I just want users to be aware that this happened to me based on these events. It's a very expensive light and, users of these lights deserve to know good and bad practices.

If I had jumped in the ocean with the o-ring off, I would be the first to have posted about my error or had I seen a nick on the cable, that's me.

Having said that, I have been treated by Halcyon with just A-1 service. A while back, I had a problem with my Evolve 40 lb wing, and they took care of me immediately without hesitation, I felt great.

That's an awful lot of problems with basically brand new gear.

Two of us have had "H" pressure gauges fail and both were warranted with no issues. One of my other friends had a can light fail and he only had to pay shipping. Flooding a light? Ouch!

Update,

I got off the phone with Correy at Halycon. He was very attentive to my explanation of what occured. He felt my concern to the event and very nicely told me to package the unit and send it to them.

He told me it could be a number of things: o-ring on the cannister nicked, 0-ring being lubed and traps dirt or hair and even suggested the battery could have short circuited, thus causing the rupture of pressure from within forcing the 0-ring to give way.

Also mentioned they will do a full analysis of the light and let me know from there the cause. He knows I'm a Halcyon addict, I love there selection of equipment, not to mention it makes me feel good about me.

As I write this post, the light has been shipped.

Last edited:
Mike,

Out of curiosity how did you treat your o-ring? I know personally I clean and re silicone the o-ring after each time I open the canister. You have to pay special attention to sand and salt crystals depending on how long/well you soak it. Also if you have pets you gotta look out for the pet hair, etc. Also you dont want TOO much silicone but enough to make the o-ring look wet.

If you already know all this, then never mind me. I just have to be extra cautious these days thanks to Halcyon for pushing Salvo out of business. I don't have a service department anymore :(.

Mike,

Out of curiosity how did you treat your o-ring? I know personally I clean and re silicone the o-ring after each time I open the canister. You have to pay special attention to sand and salt crystals depending on how long/well you soak it. Also if you have pets you gotta look out for the pet hair, etc. Also you dont want TOO much silicone but enough to make the o-ring look wet.

If you already know all this, then never mind me. I just have to be extra cautious these days thanks to Halcyon for pushing Salvo out of business. I don't have a service department anymore :(.

Brandon,

Halcyon instructions are very clear about not using silicone at all on the O-ring. You are to clean it and maintain it through simple inspection.

The use of silicone can attract dirt/fibers to break the seal. I have never used silicone as per their instructions.

MG

Mike,

As i said earlier I also had an Issue with one of the 2 lights I Purchased but rest assure they will do everything they can to fix the problem and make you happy. I am very pleased with there service. I also had my light back to me with in a week. Much much faster then expected

Halcyon in general has a pretty good reputation for standing behind their lights, and for quick and effective service on them. I'm sure this will turn out just fine.

Halcyon in general has a pretty good reputation for standing behind their lights, and for quick and effective service on them. I'm sure this will turn out just fine.

Lynn,

So far, all has been good from Halcyon. I have worked with them in the past and they are stellar.

I can't believe this happened during my doubles class with Don, everything was videoed up to the light not working.

Don even annotates in the video, the phrase, poor primary light, when he sees me deploy the Halcyon Scout.

I was so sad, but rest assured I learned how to deploy the backup, couldn't imagine that light going out in some, deep, dark cave, oh my. :shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom