Halcyon does it again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Helios developed a trickle leak through the cord after A LOT of use. Within five days of receiving it, Halcyon called to say they reseated the ballast, replaced the cord, and covered everything under warranty. Upon my request, they also let me pick it up in High Springs as I was arriving for a cave diving trip. Awesome customer service and helpfulness.

On a different note, I should also say that in the past year, I have called at least three other times with simple questions (for me or others at our LDS) regarding equipment tips, assistance with wear items from heavy use, etc. and I have had great service and polite assistance every time.

Nice to know everyone about the Helios and Proteus. But the first question is most critical, why did the reflector discolor in the first place?

The same happened to me within 1 month of receiving the Proteus after having flooded due to a loose front bezzle. It was initially shiney and bright. What I noticed about it on receipt from Halycon was small droplets of fresh water inside the head. While I dried it, I did not take every last bit of moisture out.

Within 3 months after than, the bulb, just replace died. It had just 40 dives on it. At EE at High Springs, the tech told me the discoloration was due to water inside the head, and the situation could be _my_ fault, that I had not secured the head properly.

I have a 10W lightcannon and a Dive Rite with more dives on it that the Proteus, and it has zero issues. Kudos to Halycon for superb customer support, but I wonder if the support is for a product with too many defects.

There are many nice things about this light, it size, weight, balance and brightness for a 10W. However, its has in its one year with me, been more problematic that a Dive Rite Wreck 1, which costs half the price of the Proteus. Alas, the DR is barely visible in bright open water dives, but in dark caves, the difference between the tight focus and brightness on a Proteus and the less bright DR are barely noticable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom