halcyon cam straps (do they damage steel tanks?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raposarose

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a Halcyon B.C. with those cam straps that have metal buckles. They are really secure, and overall I am happy with them. But I have only used them on rental tanks. Now that I plan to buy a tank soon I am concerned about that metal scratching the paint of a steel tank (one tank I am considering is the Faber Steel 100), and allowing water to corrode the exterior. Is this a valid concern with these straps, and if so is there anything I can do about it? Are the PST tanks less prone to such scratching since they are not painted?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

raposarose:
Hello all,

I have a Halcyon B.C. with those cam straps that have metal buckles. They are really secure, and overall I am happy with them. But I have only used them on rental tanks. Now that I plan to buy a tank soon I am concerned about that metal scratching the paint of a steel tank (one tank I am considering is the Faber Steel 100), and allowing water to corrode the exterior. Is this a valid concern with these straps, and if so is there anything I can do about it? Are the PST tanks less prone to such scratching since they are not painted?

My advice is to go with PST tanks especially if you are diving salt water. Their hot dipped galvanized tanks are the ticket. OMS/Faber tanks have had rust problems in the past.Spend a little extra and buy right the first time.

I use the Halcyon straps on Faber tanks and have no problem with the finish. The buckles do eat up my nitrox stickers, but they have never damaged my tanks. By the way, I would concur with lal7176 with regard to the PST tanks. My Fabers are coming up on five years old, and although I haven't had any rust problems, (I about 50/50 fresh and salt water) I am concerned about losing my plus rating at hydro. My understanding is that the new PST are not plus rated-- thus no worries at hydro time. Unless you are getting the Fabers for a song, I would seriously consider the PST's.

raposarose:
Hello all,

A reasonable concern and if you dive salt water I would second/third the idea of galvanized steel tanks instead of painted. Nonetheless, I perform a whole mess of visual inspections every month and am not aware of a problem specific to the Halcyon cam bands.

Thanks for the Diver's Direct tip. I ordered the tank! They said it was the last one they had in stock.

Jersey Chris, what do you do about the scratching? Is it just superficial, so you are not concerned? Is it paint being scratched, or do you have one of the PST hot-dipped galvanized tanks too?

I want to make sure to take as good care of my new tank as I can.

raposarose:
Jersey Chris, what do you do about the scratching? Is it just superficial, so you are not concerned? Is it paint being scratched, or do you have one of the PST hot-dipped galvanized tanks too?

Fox

Unfortunatly I do not have a galvanized tank. I have a painted OMS which is starting to scratch. It only scratches with a metal cam buckle. Most BC's use a plastic buckle which would be fine. Still deciding what to do.. I figure the tanks will eventually get scratched up by laying them down all the time, dropping them off to get filled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom