Halcyon Backplate Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAK52580

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just on the Halcyon website, as I am looking to purchase the Halcyon Explorer (70 pd.) wings and backplate for my technical diving. My question was more of a survey as I was looking to get the opinions of DIR divers as to whether they prefer the aluminum backplate vs. the stainless steel backplate with the 6pds of lift.

Common sense makes you think that the steel is better as it takes weight off of your waist and distibutes it more, but with steel doubles I am not sure if it is necessary. I will also be using twin 80s for stage tanks. Just throwing this out there. What do people prefer?

Marc

I wouldn't go for the 70, I'd go one size smaller.

Salt or fresh water? What kind of steels? What kind of exposure protection? One key factor to DIR is that you tune your stuff, you don't just "make do." Over time I have ended up with an AL backplate, a 6lb backplate and a 11lb backplate...

In fresh water with doubled steel 104s and a drysuit, I dive an AL backplate and a 45 pound lift wing and no weight.

In freshwater with doubled AL80s and a 7mm jumpsuit I dive a 6lb backplate and a 45 pound lift wing and a 4lb V weight.

In salt water with a 3mm jumpsuit and a single AL80 I dive the 11lb backplate and an 18 pound lift wing and a couple pounds on a weight belt.

Roak

roakey:
I wouldn't go for the 70, I'd go one size smaller.

Salt or fresh water? What kind of steels? What kind of exposure protection? One key factor to DIR is that you tune your stuff, you don't just "make do." Over time I have ended up with an AL backplate, a 6lb backplate and a 11lb backplate...

In fresh water with doubled steel 104s and a drysuit, I dive an AL backplate and a 45 pound lift wing and no weight.

In freshwater with doubled AL80s and a 7mm jumpsuit I dive a 6lb backplate and a 45 pound lift wing and a 4lb V weight.

In salt water with a 3mm jumpsuit and a single AL80 I dive the 11lb backplate and an 18 pound lift wing and a couple pounds on a weight belt.

Roak

Primarily it would be in ocean, normally in temps around 45-55 degrees with a dry suit. As far as the type of steels, most likely 120s or possibly 90s.

As far as the wings, I was looking at ideally getting 60pd wings, but Halcyon (only 50 and 70) does not have these. OMS provides 60 pd. wings, which I had thought of purchasing in lieu of the Halcyon 70s. However, with the backplate there will be no compromise on brand as I love the feel and fit of the backplate design.
:crafty:

The 55 pound wing and steel plate wil be fine for your application. I dive this combo in the same conditions.

The difference in the 55# and the 70# wing is a few extra inches in length. There is no difference in drag.

I've had both and scootered side by side with Shane using a 55# and me using a 70# and I consistently need to dial back my prop two clicks.

Personally I prefer the 70# for those times when conditions are lumpy on the surface and I am carrying a deco bottle and scooter.

MAK52580:
Primarily it would be in ocean, normally in temps around 45-55 degrees with a dry suit. As far as the type of steels, most likely 120s or possibly 90s.

I dive twin 120 (Pressed Steel E-7, high pressure) tanks with a DUI TLS 350 drysuit and 200 gram thinsulate undergarments. I use the 55 pound wings with six pounds of lead and two forties. I have not used 80 stages with this setup yet. Though I mostly dive ocean, I have tried this out in a pool minus some lead with no problem.

MAK52580:
I was just on the Halcyon website, as I am looking to purchase the Halcyon Explorer (70 pd.) wings and backplate for my technical diving. My question was more of a survey as I was looking to get the opinions of DIR divers as to whether they prefer the aluminum backplate vs. the stainless steel backplate with the 6pds of lift.

Common sense makes you think that the steel is better as it takes weight off of your waist and distibutes it more, but with steel doubles I am not sure if it is necessary. I will also be using twin 80s for stage tanks. Just throwing this out there. What do people prefer?

Marc
My feeling is you will want the stainless steel. You will need the extra weight when all tanks are near empty and you are trying to hold your last stops.

For those recommending the 55# wing over the 70# wing... what do you see as the advantages of the 55#?

UP:
After rereading I cant see anyone going out of their way to recoumend the 55 over the 70, only that they use the 55 without problems.

Personaly I dont see the need for the 70, it sounds like it is borderline overkill in lift. But on the other hand you say its only a little bigger and with no noticable diffrence in the water. Before I offer a firm oppinion I would have to see and try both.

Ron

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom