Halcyon 3.3ft Closed SMB - worth it even for a beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shamufish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Didn't realize choosing an SMB would be such hard work :)

These boards seem to point at the Halcyon 3.3ft Closed SMB as a good choice for a non-mergency SMB but at 74 quids I thought I'd ask, is it worth it? Or would something like an Aquatec Delayed Mark SMB With Dump Valve at 33 pounds be sufficient?

Would love to hear opinions :)

Mate,

Look into Frog products. They're pretty much direct copies of Halcyon and 1/2 the cost.

Frog 1m Closed SMB by Frog

FrogSMB.gif

£34 :wink:

http://www.frogdivegear.co.uk/FROG

I would try and find a friend who uses both the Frog and something else. I bought the Frog one for a course and tried it for the first time the day before, I really struggled with the Frog one as you have to both push back a collar and blow - don't ask me why, it was a pain. The guy I was diving with lent me his H one and it was much better, I used his for the course - one less thing to stress about.

Try a couple and see which you prefer, before spending your money.

If you are diving cold water, I would HIGHLY recommend the Halcyon bag. The flanged fitting for inflating it is the best one I've found for use at the end of the dive, when your lips are cold and numb. The smaller diameter tubes, and the ones you have to push in with your teeth to open for inflation, are really irritating to try to manage when you can't feel anything. That big, round flange on the Halcyon bag is easy to seal your lips around, even if you have to use your fingers to get it done.

It's worth the extra money. (We have had, I think, six different brands . . . )

I really struggled with the Frog one as you have to both push back a collar and blow - don't ask me why, it was a pain. The guy I was diving with lent me his H one and it was much better, I used his for the course - one less thing to stress about.

Yes..

If you are diving cold water, I would HIGHLY recommend the Halcyon bag. The flanged fitting for inflating it is the best one I've found for use at the end of the dive, when your lips are cold and numb. The smaller diameter tubes, and the ones you have to push in with your teeth to open for inflation, are really irritating to try to manage when you can't feel anything. That big, round flange on the Halcyon bag is easy to seal your lips around, even if you have to use your fingers to get it done.

It's worth the extra money. (We have had, I think, six different brands . . . )

And yes. It makes a world of difference for the few extra bucks (quid?) :). Truly. do yourself a favor.

I own a few different SMBs and hands down I love my halcyon. One breath and it's ready to go. Its compact and easy to inflate. Worth the money a hundred times over. It will last you for your life. Its well built and a definite essential to any dive kit.

It will last you for your life. Its well built and a definite essential to any dive kit.

If carried on every dive, it'd realistically do about 1000 dives or so.

Cheaper DSMBs (i.e. Aquaseal, DAN etc) will do about 250-500.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom