Hair Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can also try Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree shampoo and conditoner. The Eucalyptus REALLY scrubs the hair down well. I had problem scalp and using the Tea Tree shampoo with Nexxus's Humectress did the trick. That same combo has worked wonders for the other people I've recommended it to.

Best of luck

:cop_2: I love that tea tree stuff, it burns my scalp! It's awesome!

Redken doesn't make CAT anymore- they have revamped thier product line.

Is your hair chemically treated in any way (color, perms, etc)? If so, you may want to consult your hairdresser about what to use.

I have baby fine blonde hair- and after a dive it can come out knotted into a single dreadlock. Things I have found that work well- either french braiding or a pnytail ( when I do a ponytail, I use one holder at the top, one at the crown and one in back- fewer starnds "escape" that way). Use the covered elastics- they wont pull your hair out. Wear a hood. Rinse and condition immediately after the dive. I usually comb in some Redken leave in conditioner- but anything works in a pinch. After a weekend of diving I use a deep conditioning formula (I like the one Redken makes for color treated hair) and let my hair air dry.

I have really long blode colour treated hair which is fine and gets damaged really quickly. I find the only thing which keeps my hair under control is a conditioner high in silicone, which is fantastic for conditioning along with panthenol. If you look for a conditioner which has cyclomethicone of dimethicone listed high in its ingredient list you are onto a good one. The longer you can leave it on the better it is at conditioning.
It doesnt have to be an expensive product, often the special treatments are the same as the conditioners but have extra thickeners in it to make it look thicker.

Avoid any shampoos with 'Sodium Laurel Sulfate' or 'ammonium laurel sulfate' in them as they really strip your hair.
"Sodium laureth sulfate' or 'ammonium laurel sulfate' are fine to use though and no where near as harsh. If you are at the shops and cant remember whether its laurel or laureth that is the good one, just read the back of a johnsons baby shampoo, cause they use the gentle one in there.

Loreal Vive nutri moisture shampoo and conditioner is really really good and isnt too expensive either... if found it was brilliant when i was in the us... but i cant get it here in australia! :(

If you blow dry your hair use a straightening balm which has cyclomethicone or dimethicone as its top ingredient. It fills up the rough spots in the hair cuticle as it drys, which is why it feels so silky smooth after you have a blow dry at the hairdressers :)

When i dive i put a thick conditioner in my hair and put it in two braids, and if i rinse it on the boat i spray in some johnsons kids detangler before i comb it (smells like strawberries and is high in silicone which is a good detangler too!). It stops my hair going all 'crunchy' afer a dive and snapping off when i try to comb it.

I just cut all mine off -- a super short sort of skater's cut. It doesn't get in my drysuit seals any more, and I have to worry a lot less about the effect of salt water on it.

Before diving rinse your hair with fresh water and then put in conditionaer. Yes, leave it in all day during diving. This will form a protective layer on your hair and lead to less dryness. Works great for ther pool (for you instructors and DM's) as well.

Hey, thanks i'll try that next time i'm diving.

I find wearing a hood (or beanie in my case) does help, even without putting anything on my hair. It also saves my perm.

Bed Head's Dumb Blonde conditioner is another option. It's made for people who continuosly dye their hair blond, which is very hard on your hair. It worked wonders on my hair (which is not dyed blond) after it got very damaged from doing laps in an over-chlorinated pool.

Rubbing conditioner into your hair prior to getting out in the water is a good idea too, but it has to be a really thick conditioner to stay in. Or rub it in and use a beanie. This works really well to prevent swimming pool water damage, too.

Good luck!

Scuba65:
Man, you guy's are great and have given me so many tips..that i don't know what to try now..i guess i'll try each one and see which one works best. i'm heading to the store tonight after work to purchase them. i'll keep you posted on what works best for my crappy hair

How do you put your hair up so it doesn't fly all around your face? My hair is long but has lots of short layers so it won't stay in a pony tail. I don't wear a hood. What do yall do?.... Jo :fro:

Back
Top Bottom