Hair Management?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SueMermaid

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know this sounds dumb, but I don't know what do do with my hair when I dive!
I have very long hair, and can't seem to find a way to manage it when diving. If I left it loose, it'd get tangled in everything. A ponytail does the same. A braid will get compressed and then loosen, so it gets stuck on my tank valve/reg. (all of these result in ripped out, damaged hair). A bun always comes out, no matter how carefully I put it up. (I have lost more than one scrunchy on a pristine reef). :upset: A hood makes it manageable, (but looks ridiculous--the top of my head has a point cause that's where my hair goes).
I don't want to wear a hood in the tropics!
And you don't have to have long hair to know firsthand what damage the water does to it. It's always knotty and dried out after a day of SW diving. (thank God for Nexxus Humectress).
What do you long-haired divers do?

I have long hair and I generally find a braid works best. Yes, it does loosen, but it usually keeps most of the hair contained. Sometimes I go with 2 braids (think Pippy Longstockings :) ), which helps to keep the hair away from the tank valve.
Here's a thought - is your hair long enough to tuck into your BC? Maybe you could put it in a braid, then tuck the excess in the back of your BC (or have your buddy do so).
Also, I find hair elastics work MUCH better than cloth scrunchies. Hope that helps!

Having grown out my hair, I was in the same situation as you. One thing I found was a swimmers cap. Not the old rubber ones, but one of the new style for competitive swimmers. They work great when your hair is in a bun or braid. Also, try putting conditioner in your hair before you braid and it will stay better. Plus it conditions while you dive.

Thanks, little things like that make a big difference. So glad I found this forum. I love the conditioner idea.

My hair is just past my shoulders and I put it in two low ponies and then join them together. That way they don't flop around. It works for me! :D

But when my wife got tired of dealing with longish hair and sailing, she shortened it to 3/4". =-) The people at work were a bit shocked Monday morning, but that was almost years ago and it's stayed that length, especially since she joined me in diving. She describes it as wash and wear. :D
Around here we wear hoods, but I'd say most of the ladies I se diving have opted for shorter cuts.

I have had medium length hair. Was going to let it grow more, then I decided heck no and have had it cut short. I have it in a cut that is in style, and can be just wash and wear or I can style it with a flip up in the back, with a gel or wax to give it body. I love it. It works great diving too.

Try a do-rag. Most who have tried them seem pretty happy with the results.
They don't trap air, and you don't have to put you hair up.
Besides you can select one to fit your mood of the day and look cool above and below.

Hall

I can agree about the doo-rags, or in my case Dee-Rags! I've got several women with long hair using them. Simply gather your hair at the back of your haed and the Dee-Rag ties just under the 'bundle' of hair. This keeps it contained, tangle-free, and protected. You still have to wash out the salt, though!

The link to Dee-Rags is in my signature at the bottom. If I can answer any questions, feel free to ask.

I saw an instructor wrap her long pony tail in a foot long section of ace bandage and used the little gripper clip to hold it. The whole ponytail was encased except for the last couple inches. It almost looked like a show horse tail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom