Haigh Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I put lots of time in Haigh. But Im the same as ppo2 when it comes to the lake. I wana go diving now. shoot I can not wait till March. Tina runs a Great dive shop and Quarry, its nice to have a operator that haves trust in others. (Thanks Tina)

Tony I will be there opening weekend for sure. Sat, on Sun if Cpt. Dale is not runnning or DiveChicago than I will try to go with them.

JBRES1:
How cold is the water in March ?
Do people really dive there during the month of March? Or better yet, do sane people dive there in March?
I bet the vis would be great in march.
Jim Breslin
The water will probably be a balmy 36f or so, top to bottom. The water isn't the problem, it's the air temps! :D

Most people dive in drysuits, but there are a few people that show up in wetsuits and do multiple dives! :11:

March diving is a great way to make sure the gear still works. Plus, it's less crowded. :D

March is still long way to go.... It is a beautiful day, today....

do it easy:
The water will probably be a balmy 36f or so, top to bottom. The water isn't the problem, it's the air temps! :D

Most people dive in drysuits, but there are a few people that show up in wetsuits and do multiple dives! :11:

March diving is a great way to make sure the gear still works. Plus, it's less crowded. :D

What's the viz usually like that early? I would think it would be outstanding.

Divin'Hoosier:
What's the viz usually like that early? I would think it would be outstanding.
It's usually as amazing as it gets since the quarry is less crowded. The fish aren't as active; I don't remember what the snails and algae are up to in the spring.

The vis is great since the water is one temp and the thero-cline is not present to mix it all up. But the very bottom 1-3ft off the bottom you get a sulfur layer that is black as night. I try to stay away from this because I do not want it on my gear. But to think about it we penetrate wrecks and there maybe old oil and other chemicals that are in there so i guess its not that bad.

The sulphur layers stinks- I can "smell" it through my mask, and when I surface, I can sometimes smell it on my gear. It resembles a dark tea that absorbs light- HID lights penetrate a few feet and then stop! :11: Sometimes, just above the stink, will be a milky precipitate layer that resembles whipsy clouds, which can be disorienting to swim through. I tried once without a compass and ended doing a 180* turn inside of 2 minutes. :D

I was at Mermet Fri & Sat working on some new gear. Nobody was diving or I would have jumped in.:crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom