Had my 1st confined water dive last night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A properly fitting BC should not be floating up on you. What's more, it may be a real distraction and a step in the cascade of problems that can lead to panic. Make sure that the waist strap and cummerbund, if it has one, are cinched tightly, and don't be afraid to re-cinch it at depth to compensate for wetsuit compression (probably not an issue in the pool). You may have too much weight, necessitating a larger air bubble in the BC to compensate and creating the forces that tend to float the BC up. I agree that a crotch strap would solve it, but that's probably not going to happen in your class. Horizontal trim would help too, but that is also, unfortunately, not likely to happen in your class.

Spit's efficacy as a defog seems to vary quite a bit, based on the reports of members here. Perhaps it depends on individual differences in saliva chemistry, though I suspect it has more to do with how much Mike Nelson enters into a particular diver's fantasies. :wink: It does have the advantage of always being readily available. If your spit doesn't work well, I can highly recommend McNett's Sea Gold. It works much, much better than my saliva, and a $6 bottle will last for a 100 dives. Once underwater, fogging can usually be eliminated by flooding the mask.

had my first class last night. about 3-4 hours worth of pool time. did all the basic skills like mask removal/flood, reg removal/recovery, basic swimming, putting gear together, etc and had no issues.
3-4 hours of pool time is a very substantial first session, good for you! It also sounds like the typical challenges came easy for you. :)

now what I DID have problems with. The BC I was using was too big (I think). I kept feeling like I had to pull on the bottom of it when I was at the surface. also I don't know if I'm a fan of the weight integrated BC's. I kept feeling at the surface like I had to force myself to lean back so I didn't tilt forward. I just don't know if I like all the weights sitting on the front of me. Maybe I"ll try the weight belt next time but the whole BC issue just made me feel uncomfortable for most of the dive.

If you were pulling on the bottom then it was because you were actually lifting your self into it. It is either too big or not donned correctly. Did you take up the slack in the shoulder straps? This usually requires supporting the rig on a bench, hopping the tank or getting a buddy to support some of the weight while you take in the slack. Did you preload the cummerbund? The big wide Velcro strap usually has elastic segments. When you marry the Velcro you want these to be nearly fully extended to you get a little preload. That will provide a firm hold in varying conditions. When it's time for a rig of your own you can consider a crotch strap.

If after all the above it still felt like a bag of worms underwater it is too big.

As for surface balance a front loaded BC will not help. Also you probably had an aluminum cylinder and that will not help bias you to the back. Your BC may even been of a back inflate variety. All of these can be dealt with but taken together will feel as you described. If you fo get that falling forward sensation try laying back. You sould find a happy spot with a backwards tip that is comfortable. Meanwhile this is training gear. Consider the adversity a tolerance builder. This is building a great perspective for when you go test dive the gear you really want to buy.

My preference is a weight belt. I only load the BC with any weight needed on my upper body to establish horizontal trim. I reserve about 8-10 inches in the back for the cylinder butt and let the weights essentially hang down the side. This keeps the center of gravity low and somewhat back. The whole surface feel will also improve with experience.

I also had problem clearing my ears. I went to the ENT doctor last week to get checked out and she told me that something in my sinus area is enlarged and I may have a little harder time equalizing than other people. well last night I don't think I started clearing early enough + I think I'm decending too fast. I think it's just something I'm going to have to work on but either way I had some pain at the bottom of the pool (10ft) and my ears popped some last night at home and I can even get them to pop now a little.
Clear one or twice every day. Learning to sneak up on them with the right pressure can take time. Too much is worse than not enough. Clear once; going to class, when you arrive, when you set-up, just before descending, on each breath while going down. All of this will train you and your tubes to respond.

I was kind of upset/disgruntled when I first left last night but I had a good time other than those issues. Oh and I need to work on buoyancy too lol. one minute I was like "oh hey bottom of pool" then 2 seconds later I'm like "oh hey surface" haha.

A crowded pool can be hard. A bunch of flailing classmates can make peace hard to find. You may also be a little over weighted. Extra weight means you need extra air in the BC. The extra air is subject to expansion with a slight rise at pool depths. This can amplify any depth change. Lacking responses that come with experience you can get into a runaway ascent before you find a dump valve. Make sure you are not over weighted. Has your instructor been taking you through a weight check process? Be patient and just keep focusing on excellence. As a 1st night diver you sound spot on. Over time you breathing will relax, your perceptions sharpen and responses will be automatic.

edit: and another thing. My mask kept fogging. The instructor was good but he wasn't really showing us how to apply and wash off the de-fog. I had to reapply like 3 times because I kept washing too much of it off and I'd fog up

Has the mask been cleaned and TESTED? See here. 3-4 hours of pool skills will be a challenge for a lot of defoggers and needing to reapply is not unheard of. As much as the water was not cold you may have had facial perspiration to overcome.

Keep us posted and enjoy your class.

Pete

it will all get easier as you dive more. Some thoughts:
- Try gear before you buy and compare different typs, sizes.

- A balanced wieght integrated BCD is fine. You do have to lean back a bit. Try to reduce air in bcd to just keep you afloat bit not overinflate...will be easier and not pull you forward as much.

- Get your own mask, clean it like mentioned above..the cgar is a nice touch.

enjoy your diving.

One of the saddest things I've seen in OW classes I've assisted with is poorly fitting equipment, which increases diver stress. A BC which fits properly won't ride up very much; if you can't adjust the BC tightly enough around you to avoid this, ask the shop to provide the next smaller size. (It was my experience at the shop Peter used to teach for that the staff almost always gave people BCs that were too big.)

You've gotten lots of good tips on the mask issue. With regards to the buoyancy problems, you might get a kick out of reading the journal of my OW class that is linked in my sig line. Some people seem born with buoyancy control, but some of us aren't, and it IS something which can be learned.

It sounds like your BC is a little big also like someone said if it is pulling you forward it sounds like a back blatter BC they have a tendency to do that a jacket style does not do that as much.
for the mask since its a rental put the defog in it and just dip the mask in the water don't use your fingers to clean the defog off. try not to breath out of your nose that may cause the mask to fog. However you will want to get your own mask then do the toothpaste cleaning. As far as ear clearing the more you did the easier it will get. In the meantime descend slow a good rule of thumb if you are using a line equalize slid your hands down the line when your hands meet together equalize again do that the whole way down. It may help.

***update***

spent all day yesterday at the shop and at the pool. I had a new instructor this time who I was MUCH happier with. I'm very "lively" and I'm always laughing and cracking jokes and this guy really seemed to get me and my boyfriend. The instructor we had Thursday was VERY straightlaced and it kind of made us feel uptight too. but anyway, we spent a few hours in the morning hammering out the last of the classroom work and then we loaded up and headed to the pool around noon. Oh and I forgot to mention this earlier. the class was just 3 of us, my boyfriend, myself, and another girl.

I told him my concerns about the BC and my "tilting" issues and he said we'd take a smaller size up to the pool and try it out. I also let him know about my concerns with my equalization and he told me to take as much time as I needed descending and gave me a few tips on clearing. oh and I did pick up my own mask, snorkel, fins, booties, and gear bag. It felt much better having my own stuff.

So we headed over to the pool and our instructor (I'll call him K :) ) suggested we try out the new BC. So we fitted me into it, checked it out, and he said it looked a lot better on me. so we situated some weight in the front, put a little in the back. and grabbed some clip on bullet weights in case we needed more. Once I got in the water I felt a LOT more comfortable. It was like night and day. I also just felt more comfortable in the water in general. I was def able to unbuckle some of the straps and readjust the BC easily if I needed to. I breathed a nice sigh of relief underwater haha.

Now onto my ears. I took a lot of time going down and as someone earlier suggested I cleared my ears when I got up in the morning, on the way to the shop, while I was assembling my gear, at the surface, and as often as I could going down. Sometimes I needed to go up if I felt some squeeze but it was a lot better this time around. K also checked on me underwater to make sure I was okay which made me feel like he really cared about my well being.

Now onto that evil thing called buoyancy control LOL. my boyfriend did great, the other girl (who we nicknamed Little Lung) hovered like helicopter, but me...I was having a hard time. K really took some time with me and we played with my weights and played with the air in my BC. I started to do better by the end of the day (we were in the pool for at least 4 hours) but I feel like I def need more practice. We do the check-out dives next weekend and he said we'll play in the quarry for as long as I need to get comfortable.

Now on to my new mask. I kept getting water in it and I didn't like it at all. We got back to the shop after the end of the day and the owner of the shop helped me pick out a new one. If I have any problems with this one I'll just let them know.

So all-in-all I feel a lot better than I did Thursday. I just think a lot of this is going to come with time. The guys at this shop also remind me a lot of my boyfriend and I and I think they're a great fit.

Water temps. vs. air temps. in a pool can cause masks to continually fog up after defogging. My instructor suggested defogging and filling it with water -- letting it sit full of water while gearing up. Haven't tried that yet.

Just a thought too.... make sure your face is free of any creams or makeup as they can prevent your mask from having a nice snug sneal on your face. Also make sure your hair is up and out of the way, I wear mine in a plat o low pig tails, as if I put it up in a pony tail my strap sits funny. Silly little things that you probably know already, if not hope they help! Well done though, and so many hours in the pool, extra well done to this school.

Welcome to a new addiction...wait until you see what awaits you outside of the pool!

Everything you talk about is normal for a new diver. You may be over weighted and that's why you feel the pitch forward but try to remember that outside of the pool you will not be spending any time on the surface in your bdc and that you will be horizontal in the water, so I wouldn't ditch the integrated weights just yet.

As for the mask all the advice given so far has been great. Another piece of advice is to learn NOT to breath out through your nose. This causes the mask to fog too. If you're having trouble with that, buy or borrow a mask and get in your bathtub and snorkel! I know it sounds ridiculous but it is how I learned to overcome my natural proclivity towards nose breathing.

As for clearing your ears, go slow and clear often. I start to clear my ears before they even get wet and continue to clear as I descend.

Most of all, have fun but make sure you learn what you need to be safe and don't ever be afraid to ask to have something demonstrated again or practice a skill until you feel comfortable. Your instructor won't be with you on your dives after you are certified so you have to rely on you!

Glad to hear your second session went better. If the BC is a back inflate, over inflating it at the surface can cause it to push you face forward. You shouldn't need to fill it up all that much to float, so try letting a little air out if it is trying to face plant you.

Back
Top Bottom