Had a close call yesterday, almost lost at sea...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I talked to light monkey about buying a canister from them for various survival supplies, they suggested instead sending them the stuff I want in it and they would figure out what size canister I needed to make it all fit. Which pushes the onus on me to figure out what I want. Obviously a PLB that floats, but I was debating on things like radios. It seems logical to get a marine band radio, but I suspect that if I need to pop the PLB I'm where going to guard on 121.5mhz will be a lot more likely to find someone than a marine radio on channel 16/DCS distress call from an antenna 18 inches off the water.

Not to mention, it's been my experience that private boaters rarely turn their marine radios on and many older boats don't have GPS/Distress radios.

Not to mention, it's been my experience that private boaters rarely turn their marine radios on and many older boats don't have GPS/Distress radios.
But anyone who you call for help who actually turns up to search will.

But anyone who you call for help who actually turns up to search will.

True, assuming you're in range. After a day those search grids get ridiculously large. I like the Nautilus Lifeline, it's better than nothing, but it has its limitation (34 miles, IIRC)

So given a choice, PLB. If and when someone combines the two, I will be replacing my PLB.

Good article, btw. Really lays out all of the option out there.

Last edited:
if I am ever lost at sea
Why not carry a PLB in a canister? The PLB is $250, good for 5 years < $1/week to carry everywhere. If you ever use it for a rescue, send it in with the story and get a new one free. Dive canister is $120 now I think.

Hey Frank,

Thanks man, to you and the crew. Went to Gardens with you years ago. Best of luck, stay safe.

We lost our boat 26 years ago when the anchor rope broke and it drifted away in a huge southerly change (say northerly for you in northern hemisphere). The boat was new to us and we had poor skills relating to how to dive from a private boat. After that we greatly changed our processes. Since then, we have never had a problem even when the anchor has come free.

What we do is that half the boat dives (2 or 3) while the others wait on the boat. We have an agreed bottom time for each site, so at the predetermined time, the ones on the boat enter the water. They have to pass the others on the anchor line and check that everything is okay. If they do not see the first group, then they have to wait for a while before ascending. They cannot leave the anchor line until all is known to be okay.

This means that there are always people on or attached to the boat. It also cuts our total time out diving considerably as we do not have to wait for people to ascend, do safety stop and get out of the water etc. All but one of the 10 boats in our dive club follow this practise.

We rarely do dives without being anchored as it is normally too rough to follow bubbles and also, most of our dive sites are distinct areas surrounded by sand or uninteresting rock.

PS We did get the boat back undamaged after drifting for about an hour 4 kilometres off the coast.

We lost our boat 26 years ago when the anchor rope broke and it drifted away in a huge southerly change (say northerly for you in northern hemisphere). The boat was new to us and we had poor skills relating to how to dive from a private boat. After that we greatly changed our processes. Since then, we have never had a problem even when the anchor has come free.

What we do is that half the boat dives (2 or 3) while the others wait on the boat. We have an agreed bottom time for each site, so at the predetermined time, the ones on the boat enter the water. They have to pass the others on the anchor line and check that everything is okay. If they do not see the first group, then they have to wait for a while before ascending. They cannot leave the anchor line until all is known to be okay.

This means that there are always people on or attached to the boat. It also cuts our total time out diving considerably as we do not have to wait for people to ascend, do safety stop and get out of the water etc. All but one of the 10 boats in our dive club follow this practise.

We rarely do dives without being anchored as it is normally too rough to follow bubbles and also, most of our dive sites are distinct areas surrounded by sand or uninteresting rock.

PS We did get the boat back undamaged after drifting for about an hour 4 kilometres off the coast.

WOAH.... So when you came up what did you do?

I've always said it's crazy that people dive with no one on the boat. I still see people do it and can't believe it.

Cuzza, that's an awesome little mirror/powerhead setup you have there! I wish I would have thought of that instead of just tying mine with mono to my bc--- I lost mine :(

One question for the OP. As you were floating on the surface for 10 minutes, how well did your B.C. work as a lifejacket?
What type of B.C. were you wearing?

Did you drop all your weights or did the thought of dumping all your weights enter your mind. Granted you were only floating for 10 minutes, but I'm sure it felt like a long time.

I can't remember if you mentioned having any dead fish. If so, did you get rid of those or at least leave your buddy holding the bag:wink:?

One question for the OP. As you were floating on the surface for 10 minutes, how well did your B.C. work as a lifejacket?
What type of B.C. were you wearing?

Did you drop all your weights or did the thought of dumping all your weights enter your mind. Granted you were only floating for 10 minutes, but I'm sure it felt like a long time.

I can't remember if you mentioned having any dead fish. If so, did you get rid of those or at least leave your buddy holding the bag:wink:?

It actually worked perfectly, I don't like to dive overweight anyway though, and I didn't have on a wetsuit, just shorts and a 1 mil vest with a hood. I use a Dimension i3 BC. You all should look at the i3 system if you haven't, I absolutely love it.

He had the SS so I took both the guns and the stringer with the hog on it, and still positively buoyant. At one point I did say, "I'm gonna drop this fish."... But I didn't, I don't know why. At that point honestly, the last thing I was really worried about was sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom