Had a close call yesterday, almost lost at sea...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We started swimming towards the shore, we would have made it eventually as the wind and waves were in that direction. It was winter, so water was cold (15C), but we were swimming slowly creating heat. We cut a section of anchor rope and tied all four together. Two dropped their weight belts, I did not, as I knew that I could swim better with it on.

In the end our boat was found by someone who knew us. They took it under tow and headed back into the wind. We also had very bright torches, so eventually they sighted us (it was like dusk, even though it was about 11 am).

Yes, a very stupid thing to dive without anyone on the boat, we have never done it since.

I want to throw a BIG THANKS to @Wookie for sending me and my dive buddy I was with a FastFind and an awesome canister! You are the man, sir! I will be diving with this every dive from now on! :D

I want to throw a BIG THANKS to @Wookie for sending me and my dive buddy I was with a FastFind and an awesome canister! You are the man, sir! I will be diving with this every dive from now on! :D

Absolutely!!! I got mine yesterday, it's fantastic. I've already got the ball rolling for replacing the batteries.

That was indeed generous of him. Not surprised as he has always seemed like a generous fellow, but yeah - kudos! :yeahbaby:

Is that the FastFind 220? I see one ebay seller offering a new FastFind (model not given) with outdated battery for $184 including shipping, and he's already sold one - to someone who may go into shock over the battery price after paying that much for the unit. New 220 with new battery is going for $218 on Amazon.

Can you operate it while still in the flotation pouch? Between dives, carry it in your car, backpack on hikes, etc. just in case.

I'd really like to know about the canister? Can you tell us about it and show photos? I've wondered if one couldn't make one out of the right PVC parts?

Absolutely!!! I got mine yesterday, it's fantastic. I've already got the ball rolling for replacing the batteries.
The battery seems to be the expensive part. When my $200 ACR battery comes up, I think I may just buy a new one with new warranty instead of the $160 battery & service. This guy is offering FastFind battery & service for only $115 tho, much less than many others I see: PLB Battery Replacement Service | ACR - McMurdo - Pains Wessex

Indeed it looks exactly like a can for a primary light, just no cable or switch. No flotation pouch, it's just tethered into the canister. If you want to carry it with you everywhere you either carry the canister or you take it off the tether. Knowing how Frank used them and issued them to his tech divers, it's absolutely perfect. PLB, whistle, and dye marker are all tethered to the cap, which is tethered to the body of the canister. The only loose items are a glow stick and a very thoughtful pack of granola bars. :)

Yep, the battery replacement seems to be about $115. I think if you have purchased one already, buying a new one may be the better option since it's not much more expensive, but thanks to Frank's generosity, it's certainly more feasible to simply replace the battery.

Sort of like buying a warranty on a ball bearing, I'm not concerned with buying new just to get a warranty. As long as it passes the self test, I have confidence in a PLB. If it doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised if it was either expired, or due to some damage that wouldn't be covered under warranty in the first place.

I originally tried the DIY PVC route and did not have confidence in it. The constant pressure changes would likely flex and stress the glued welds and it could fail.

Frank sent me one for my buddy. Very generous of him. He could have easily sold these kits for a few hundred bucks. Thanks again Frank. I'm looking forward to giving it to my buddy.

The setup is much larger than my CustomDivers kit, but I cannot fit anything except the PLB. Frank's kit as noted allows for other items. In fact there's more than enough space to fit car keys and maybe even a small VHF radio.

I do suggest replacing the oring as the one I received is dry rotted.

Here's some pics and a comparison to my kit.

20160804_173727.jpg
20160804_173759.jpg
20160804_173826.jpg
1470347257581369330678.jpg
1470347320637362063707.jpg
1470347408289807137661.jpg
1470347447253-781629943.jpg

Something to keep in mind when deciding on what canister to get, Frank's canisters were made for his tech trips, guys that are using BP/W with 2" webbing, who probably own a canister light, and are probably running a long hose. A small canister like the CustomDivers isn't necessarily ideal for a technical diver for several reasons.

First, you've gotta shove it somewhere. Fine for a BCD with a giant pocket, but it's pretty bulky for a leg pocket with other stuff in it, and it doesn't appear to have any way of securing it. @CuzzA does it have a spot where you can tie on a bolt snap or is it just the cylinder? It also opens in the middle, which makes putting a belt loop on it with hose clamps unpossible. However, even if you could, it leads to the next issue.

Second, a can light is the preferred method for keeping the long hose secured. Because of the size of the LM canister, during a dive where a can light is not needed, it easily takes its place to secure the long hose.

Third, as CuzzA mentioned, the CustomDivers can has no extra storage space. Since the potential for a free ascent causing issues is greater when you have potentially long deco obligations, or less than ideal conditions because of the nature of the dive site, having the extra dry storage is a boon! Whether it's granola bars or a small radio or whatever, that extra usable space can contain any number of useful things.

This is not to disparage or inflate either canister, but like many things in the scuba world, there are certain things that work better for certain situations.

Good points @JohnnyC. I am not a tech diver, more so a rec spearo. So small and streamlined are important considerations for me. There's not much that is streamlined in tech diving when you're lugging a few tanks, so another big canister is no big deal for you guys. :D

I keep my PLB kit on my left side waist harness. I've also kept it on my tank cam straps. But, I decided against that since if I surfaced in poor conditions and needed to access it I may not want to remove my rig to deploy it.

As you can see in the pics, the canister comes with a holster that fits 2" webbing. It also has a hole drilled to secure it with a lanyard, tether or bolt snap. I've yet to do that, but do plan on rigging something. So far I figure if I have to use it, the last thing I'll be worried about is the canister.

I would recommend figuring out a solution to secure the Fastfind. Unlike the ResQLink+, it does not appear to be buoyant and does not have a strap. If you notice in the previous picture the ACR has a Velcro strap. This is important because you may not be able to continuously hold it until rescue arrives. The strap allows you to secure it over your hand or on your BC shoulder strap. Rigging a piece of foam may be a good idea to. It would suck to drop it and have it go to the bottom of the ocean.

20160804_182153.jpg
20160804_182206.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry DandyDon, I was busy out in Denver for work this week.

Looks like all of your questions got answered though, thanks for the pic comparison Cuzza.

The canister is quite large, but I do like how I can fit my keys in it too and...whatever else. I actually slipped my tank strap through the loop on it. and it sits nicely right next to the tank, out of the way.

Even though the batteries show FULL life, they are expired and I think someone mentioned it's about $115 for a replacement, which isn't too bad. The FastFind Frank sent me is in great condition, so I don't have a problem reusing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom