H20 Photo Pros in Newport Beach, CA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After receiving a confirmation email from Mike, I went down to the H20 Photo Pro shop last Wednesday. My order (except for the DS 160 strobe, which was just released) was there and complete. Mike went over the housing and dome port with me and we assembled it there. Everything was as advertised.

I since took the housing into a pool and it works smashingly. I'm looking forward to receiving the new Ikelite DS160 strobe when they come in.

:D

Scuba Steve, I would agree with you but in both cases the posters stated that they could not reach H2O and wanted to know from others if there was a problem. One poster wrote "I place an order three weeks ago and it was only partially filled, and the final item was a demo product that they had on their shelf at the time of the order. I've tried to contact them multiple times over the last two weeks by phone and e-mail but nobody answers and nobody returned my voicemails or e-mails."

I don't think its inappropriate for someone to use the forum to seek advice regarding a business that you are having problems contacting. I've frequently asked for guidance regarding dive ops or internet businesses I'm thinking of buying from to find out others experiences. In this particular case H2O responded quickly and solved the problems which is a credit to them.

Just my thoughts

Bill

I am not sure if I am out of line with what I am about to say or not. If I am, pease tell me, but I intend no harm or ill will with this post.

Since Mike at H2O Pros is a member of Scuba Board, maybe it would be a good idea to make sure all your dealings (this goes out to everybody and not just those who have posted here) with them are resolved before posting here. You can discuss issues via PM with him. I just feel that it is only fair that we give them the opportunity to privately correct any issues they may have before announcing to the board that an issue or hiccup arose. And if there are other communication failures that caused this thread, then I guess there are some things that need to be worked out by H2O but this is apparently a reliable method of getting Mike's attention.

If I ever have the opportunity or need to buy from Mike, I would like to enter into that with no preconcieved notion of how it will go until I ask people (on SB most likely) at that specific time if they are reputable. Again, I just feel like spreading dirty laundy is a bad thing and should only be a last resort. Here on SB, we found a reliable way of reaching them when other options fail.

Just my 2 cents worth.

*********** Edit ***********

I just wanted to add that this posting is not at all referring to anyone that has posted anything here. This post has done exactly what it was intended (I believe) and that is to find a secure and reliable way of getting communications to H2O.

Scuba Steve,

I use this forum to help me decide who to do business with, who is good, who is bad, and who is marginal.

I certainly hope members do not stop writing their experiences with any vendor just because they are a Scubaboard sponsor. I would hate to think that I can't trust what I read because they are a sponsor, or not.

Everybody has their own experiences and opinions and I take that into consideration when I read these posts. I do not neccesarily believe or agree with everything I've read, but if a pattern develops after reading comments from different members then I certainly take that into consideration.

The above comments are my opinion for any and all businesses, and are not just limited to H2OPhotopros.

As it turns out I'm having similar problems that others have commented on. I've tried leaving voicemail, email, and PM's and I have a hard time getting a response from H2OPhotopros.

The fact that now I know others are having this problem is enlightening to me, and may be to others also.

When I have been in contact Mike he has apoligized and seems sincere in wanting to correct the problem, but the follow through is lacking.

I know they have recently opened the store in Newport Beach, and now he is also affilated with Scuba Schools of America. Perhaps he is just over extended, but I think he needs to focus on his customers more - my opinion.

Wally

As far as the previous posts, I also use forums like this to get a wider perception of vendors I use and to inform others of my experiences with vendors.

As far as H2O Photo Pros goes, it does seem to take a bit to hear back from them. In this world of email, text messages and voice mail, in my opinion, an average response shouldn't take more than 24-48 hours. That being said, there are always extenuating circumstances that do "occasionally" occur. But, if "occasionally" seems to be the standard, then I believe it is time to comment.

Right now I'm waiting for Ikelite to deliver the DS160 strobe to H20 Photo Pros. I had sent an email on Wed. of last week and got one back on Friday. Mike is apparently heading out of the country, but has the shop on the lookout for the strobe to ship it to me. He said he was waiting to hear back from Ikelite.

I knew going into this that the strobe was not due to release until about 8/1/08, so I'm not surprised that it's taking a bit to get it.

I'll update here when I get more info.

I have literally purchased over $25,000 worth of stuff through Mike over the last few years, and have hung out in his shop in Newport while being stepped through some of the intricacies by Mike himself. I think the issue is that he enjoys providing excellent service to all of his customers, but with only one Mike, there is not enough of him to go around. He does have some intermittent help, but his helpers just don't have the background or familiarity with the products that Mike has. Plus, Mike does like to get in the water every once in a while.

If you think about it, H2O Photo Pros has prices comparable to the bigger photo behemoths like Adorama and B&H, but Mike provides personal owner and photo experience plus tech support that is impossible for the other guys to match...with possible exception of Backscatter in Monterey. But somewhere, something has to give or change if Mike wants to keep on providing a decent level of support to his expanding customer base.

I currently have some outstanding issues with Inon and Aquatica stuff that need to get resolved, and am hoping that I will pop into the top of the H2O Photo Pro queue relatively shortly. Lets hope some constructive criticism like we see in these threads will spur Mike to modify his business model so as to continue with his success.

- Kent

UPDATE! This is where Mike is right now:

Thank you for your email. I am currently our of the office in Cozumel, Mexico for an Underwater Imaging festival. I will be back in the office on Saturday, August 23rd. I will be checking my email periodically.

If you need immediate assistance, please contact the store at 949-203-2700.

Thank you and safe diving,

Mike Luzansky

I agree that Mike seems to be taking on a bit more than he can completely cover with his business. I spoke to Dennis in his shop about the DS160 Strobe from Ikelite. He was going to "check on it" and get back to me. He did call back the next day and informed me that "they are still on back-order and the strobes are being shipped out 1 or 2 a day". I asked to be kept informed.

I knew that Mike was out of the country until the 8/22 from my email earlier this month. I just sent him an email (now that he's back) asking for an update. I'm expecting that I would hear from him in the next couple days.

I did purchase from Mike partially based on his statement that he had "pre-ordered some of the DS160 stobes". Not that I expected to get them in early August but I am now becoming concerned that I won't get the strobe in time to have a shipping case done up for a late Sept. trip.

I will continue to update this post as things progress.

Hi Lee,

I was just at their store Saturday. Jillian and Dennis were in the store. They told me Mike had not returned yet.

However, in my case Jillian and Dennis have worked very hard to complete an order I have been trying to complete for far too long now. They told me Mike is just stretched too thin right now so they stepped in to finish my order.

I was able to pick up everything except for two parts for the D2000 Strobe Package I ordered. One of those parts is due in this week, and the other is backordered for about two weeks.

Jillian told me she called four different places trying to locate the second item and everybody is out of stock currently.

I want to applaude Jillian and Dennis for working hard to try to complete my order. I know in the past Mike has had problems getting reliable help. Hopefully Jillian and Dennis will fix that problem and allow Mike to concentrate his attention where it is needed.

Wally

Wally:

We got your cap in today and will notify you when the mount base makes it here.

Dennis and I are happy that we were able to set things right. We will be taking on more the responsibilites in the shop, which has been much needed for some time.

Dennis and I both bring unique backgrounds to the camera company, so please don't hesitate to contact us via phone or email. We are H2O Photo Pro employees, not intermittent help.

Cheers and Happy Diving!

Jillian
jillian@h2ophotopros.com

Hi,
I am first time hire. Just to inform You. I am trying to make contact with H2Ophotopros stuff, with info, Mike and Jillian... I send few email, PM on scubaboard forum, I try to call them, I leave message on phone secretary, but they didn't answer. Actually I buy some stuff from them (from web page) and I pay before one week, and get confirmation, but they didn't inform me or answer about shipping or they send, or will send. Really this is unprofessional. I am not 100% if they will send stuff. Really I am very angry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom