Guppy Gulch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone. Still on the fence about it, since I am taking my daughter we may head to Dutch.

Get there early, there is a storm in the Atlantic this weekend. -you will have company.

Or if you want something different with no crowds and very friendly staff, go to Willow Springs and surface swim to the mast sticking out of the water. descend to the Quest, nice controlled intro into low viz diving. Great place to practice running reels. Two masts, make sure you return on the longer one. BTW A bottom swim to the Quest is serious low viz diving...

Did you say they do wreck certs at Guppy??????
You're kidding.......right?

What's there to penetrate?
I mean...to REALLY penetrate.
Little boats and buses don't count.

The Wednesday night diving!

I did my first night dive there a few weeks ago. Frankly I think you may have been there teaching.

I was frankly surprised at how many more fish came out to play in the baby pool!

Now if we could get some Zebra muscles in there and those dive platforms that Dutch has, that would be cool.

The only thing that I like about Guppy, aside from the cost, is the fact that you can do a giant stride entry. Other than that, keep it. Cold, dark, the facilities leave a lot to be desired. The exciting thing is the lawnmower in the hole at 85ft. Not my bag baby.

Nah, not teaching, I'm not an instructor (but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express!..ok, it was a Hampton...)...I do remember a bunch that stayed after we left a few weeks back now that you mentioned it. Usually by the end of the Wednesday nights we get some night dives in, not a bad place to do them really...we use lights for the most part anyway...just to keep track of one another.

I'm a regular over there (this is my third year with a membership) Last night was killer! The visibility was probably the worst I've seen in a few years! From about 10 ft down to 60 ft it's about 2-3 ft. From there and deeper it's bad in spots.

Not sure how long it takes, but there are some Zebra mussels there, I guess it's just a matter of time! If you go through the swim through pipe in the part they call the Lagoon you'll see some, but there are are starting to attach to the underside of some of the ledges as I noticed last night. So mabye in a few years we'll have "Dutch-Like" viz!

Those little guys need to work harder!!!:D

Did you say they do wreck certs at Guppy??????
You're kidding.......right?

What's there to penetrate?
I mean...to REALLY penetrate.
Little boats and buses don't count.

Absolutely... In fact, many people struggle with this dive. It's usually 39F - 44F degrees... black as night (1' - 5' of vis) in 55ft of water with a narrow swim through and interior cabin. Running wreck reels and uplines etc... can be done from just about anything... so I'd say it qualifies. In fact, I'd say it's a more difficult wreck dive than anything in clear warm water - regardless the size of the wreck or the depth involved (within recreational limitations.)

I agree that a bus doesn't count - but the "Damn Phool" does... and I challenge anyone who thinks it doesn't to take the wreck class with us. Lets see what you're made of... : )

Absolutely... In fact, many people struggle with this dive. It's usually 39F - 44F degrees... black as night (1' - 5' of vis) in 55ft of water with a narrow swim through and interior cabin. Running wreck reels and uplines etc... can be done from just about anything... so I'd say it qualifies. In fact, I'd say it's a more difficult wreck dive than anything in clear warm water - regardless the size of the wreck or the depth involved (within recreational limitations.)

I agree that a bus doesn't count - but the "Damn Phool" does... and I challenge anyone who thinks it doesn't to take the wreck class with us. Lets see what you're made of... : )

Already have my Wreck cert (did it in Marathon on Flagler's barge...no viz :D and the Thunderbolt...awesome dive) But it sounds like a fun dive to do anyway!

I'm heading up here on sun the 6th if anyone from scuba board wants to meet up.I'll be there by 8AM when gates open (i'm an early bird).

I'm heading up here on sun the 6th if anyone from scuba board wants to meet up.I'll be there by 8AM when gates open (i'm an early bird).

I'll be out of town (Penn State game on Saturday, party on Sunday!)

But OOOF! that's early! We usually try not to get anywhere before 10:00 - 10:30! Talk about an ungodly hour! :rofl3:

I haven't been to Guppy in a year, but I like to get there early (when gates open) to get my first dive in before anyone kicks up the silt. :wink:

Awwww...I dive at Bainbridge...What's a little silt! (the silt isn't bad unless it's a class day...it's the algae bloom that will kill ya!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom