Gunsmoke - No 8/29 - Our Ledge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the first pic is a Palythoa or Protopalythoa sp., common name button polyps or sea mat. Neat find. The Atlantic mushroom is definitely a great find (to me anyway). From the picture it made me think of the Indo-Pacific cat's eye coral (Cynarina lacrymalis). Very cool. Ok - so, how do I get on the next dive to that site. :wink:

GulfCoastdiver:
Did I do that:D

Yes, and I am telling our camerawoman on you. Just as soon as I speak to her next :)

Oceandiver, I wanted to also tell you, on that first pic those "flowers" would open and close gently, if touched. Thanks a bunch for your help as well. I have been trying to learn all the different things we have around here.

Oceandvr:
I think the first pic is a Palythoa or Protopalythoa sp., common name button polyps or sea mat. Neat find. The Atlantic mushroom is definitely a great find (to me anyway). From the picture it made me think of the Indo-Pacific cat's eye coral (Cynarina lacrymalis). Very cool. Ok - so, how do I get on the next dive to that site. :wink:

Speak to GulfCoastDiver. Can you come during the week?

Missdirected:
Do I know you :D Hey thanks again.

Was that an oyster toadfish on the other page? Now you have to take me to this secret place. :D

Missdirected:
Oceandiver, I wanted to also tell you, on that first pic those "flowers" would open and close gently, if touched. Thanks a bunch for your help as well. I have been trying to learn all the different things we have around here.

You're welcome! Thanks for sharing the dive stories and photos. Yes, the "flowers" sound like, palythoa -- I'd almost bet on it. There's a lot to learn about out there!

TheRedHead:
Was that an oyster toadfish on the other page? Now you have to take me to this secret place. :D

I found a couple leapard toads and an oyster. In total I believe I counted four toads, at least four. That is why I was like, wow. Check out all the pics Kathleen took from that day here on GulfCoastDivers site: http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g4...08-29-06/?sc=5

Oceandvr:
You're welcome! Thanks for sharing the dive stories and photos. Yes, the "flowers" sound like, palythoa -- I'd almost bet on it. There's a lot to learn about out there!

Yeah and your giving me scientific names, oi. Thinking of scientific names may cause my head to spin off :wink: I will be a happy girl if I can just learn the common names of the things I see.

Bad link, Tracy. I want to see more toadfish. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom