Gunsmoke - No 8/29 - Our Ledge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting those photos! The corals in the photos are tube corals (Cladocora arbuscula) - they're common in the Gulf. The area looks relatively healthy, which is really great to see after the bad red tide last year. Looks like a spot to make a return trip to.

More pics. Please keep in mind some of the pics may not be great but they do give divers an idea of what can be found here. If I have mislabeled any photo, please be so kind as to let me know.

Anyone know the proper name for this first pic?
P8290075.jpg

WhiteSpotted Soapfish
P8290069.jpg

Red Grouper w/ a gun in the lower left
P8290068.jpg

Cubbyu – we saw three separate groups of these. There were about 30 to a group
P8290062.jpg

Snakefish – at first I thought this may be a Sand Diver but the shape of the mouth says otherwise. These are only occasionally spotted here
P8290044.jpg

Just to show how healthy this ledge
P8290045.jpg

Sponge
P8290046.jpg

Sponge
P8290024.jpg

Jacknife juvenile – lots of these many hanging out in or near the sponges
P8290029.jpg

One more thing, it is GulfCoastDivers fault if some of the pics are too large for your screen. :sprint:

Small Red Grouper w/ encrusting coral. Note the brittle star in the lower left. Border on left, midway down, shows another juvenile jacknife fish
P8290018.jpg

???
P8290020.jpg

SeaRod/Fire Coral
P8290014.jpg

Atlantic Mushroom
P8290012.jpg

Tube Sponge
P8290003.jpg

The first photo appears to be a type of sea mat/zoanthid (Palythoa sp.), which I haven't seen in the Gulf. I think they're more common in Keys. What color were they (hard to tell in the photo)? And I think you were right with your first ID of the sand diver.

The staghorn coral isn't coral - that appears to be a type of algae. Did you touch it, by chance? If it was soft or squishy (sp?), it's probably algae or a sponge or something other than a coral.

The solitary polyp is Scolymia sp., common names are artichoke coral or solitary disk coral or mushroom coral. That's an awesome find! Ok, now I have to go with you guys to this site next time! :D

Actually, the staghorn coral could be algae. :D

Just to follow-up on the solitary polyp...it may be a mushroom coral (corallimorph). Did you notice if it had a solid base?

The first pic was white. Anything you know would be appreciated.

So you think my friend was right on the Atlantic Mushroom? Cool. We seen several of those :jump: They have themselves in the ground pretty good.

As I said this place was a major find.

P.S Thanks friend. Dunno if she wants to say who she is.

Just seen your last post. The mushroom was velvety soft on top, hard underneath and firmly in the ground. BTW, the color in was vibrant in person. It was rather pretty.

As for the stag stuff - it isn't soft per say. It is very bendible. I guess I would liken it to a straw - does that help??

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom