Gummi Suit for Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These were the suits that got us to where we are today. There were no supply or exhaust valves so after a dive you looked like a road map.

They didn’t have a zipper because NASA hadn’t invented one yet. You climbed into it through a tube in the rear but some had front entries. Once inside a tender would fold over the opening in several directions. Then either tie it off with cord or put a brass horseshoe clamp on it.

They were quite interesting and sometimes painful to dive in.

They were built out of the same material and just like a tire inner tube. Something most of you won't remember. :D

Gary D.

Gary D.:
These were the suits that got us to where we are today. There were no supply or exhaust valves so after a dive you looked like a road map.

They didn’t have a zipper because NASA hadn’t invented one yet. You climbed into it through a tube in the rear but some had front entries. Once inside a tender would fold over the opening in several directions. Then either tie it off with cord or put a brass horseshoe clamp on it.

They were built out of the same material and just like a tire inner tube. Something most of you won't remember. :D

Gary D.

Gee..... Did they have cars back then?

all4scuba05:
Before I bid on this suit, I want to make sure it's allowed in any tech classes.
I'm sure it would make for some great talking points in DIR-F at any rate.

Might make an interesting Halloween costume ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Doc Harry:
Gee..... Did they have cars back then?
They did and they even had hydraulic brakes. But Armstrong steering was the norm. :D

These were common through the 60’s. That sweet little zipper NASA developed for the space suits made the major swing in dry suits.

Gary D.

Gary D.:

Gary D.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is encouraging that one member of this board has a certain amount history of diving knowledge...Good for you GaryD!

Gary D,

FYI

1) There were always exhaust valves generally in the top of the suit, However on this one I donot see one..
2) There were three types of entries front, rear and a two peice that used a ring at the waist.
3) The clamp was late in the game--ties were generally used
4) I do not recall pain when diving...Long underwear and/or WW11 surplus wool electrical flying suits were use as undergarmets. This eliminated the squeeze and the "pain."
5) They were constructed of industrial grade sheeting not innertube material.

The item piscured appears to be a copy of a post WW11 Pirelli unit imported by US Divers in the mid 1950s. They were never very popular. The AQULA, made in Los Angeles California, was first in the market place and was the choice of most divers

The dry suits rapidly lost popularity after the introduction of the wet suit in 1954 and with in a very few years disappered from the market for the sport diver, however they continued in the commerical area.

Good for you Gary!

Cheers from California --where it all began!!!!!

SDM

NWGratefulDiver:
Might make an interesting Halloween costume ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think the first parent that sees you in it will have you arrested.

Aquala is still in business, and still offers the original suit.

Go to Aquala select suits, then historical. $700 new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom