Guided Tour - Blue Heron Bridge -

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Temps are probably around 70 degrees F based on the fact that the offshore bouy shows 68 degrees today.

Folks, I just figured out that Wadespage is calculating tides for 2008. So Wade hasn't fixed the pointer on his web page to use 2009 numbers. You might want to check at the NOAA.gov web site for the current tides before you drive to BHB.

Seems to me high slack tide, per NOAA should be @ 11:15 am on Saturday:
11:17AM LST 2.5 H

So....for me, I'll be joining in IF the weather isn't too chilly; Florida winter is so up and down.....Jim's last report for water temps was @ 69/70 F at the bridge.

I have a co-worker who has given us some fantastic tips (and video clips) for finding nudibranchs at the bridge.......so, if I'm there, that's what we may be on the hunt for......
let's see what this weekend will bring!!!

If anyone is looking for us....if it's a "we" dive, we'll be in a late model greenish-grey Toyota Rav4; if it's just Jim, he'll be in a dark grey Hyundai Elantra Wagon. See everyone there!

Folks, I just figured out that Wadespage is calculating tides for 2008. So Wade hasn't fixed the pointer on his web page to use 2009 numbers. You might want to check at the NOAA.gov web site for the current tides before you drive to BHB.
I don't use Wade's page... I go straight to the source at NOAA...

Tide Tables=

Temps the last weekend dipped to 69F. I dove Nekkid for that dive on Sunday. If the temps stay this way, I will finally break out the shorty and make the dive.

Some pics from this past weekend (I was experimenting with "off slack high tides")...

January 24th, 2009:

Juvinile Urchin smaller than a golf ball
PICT001716.jpg

Resident crab
PICT001918.jpg

Garden of eels... They are not present during slack tides...
PICT003718.jpg

I can guarantee seahorse sightings...
PICT003911.jpg

Sneaking up on the Eagle Rays is a bit tricky
PICT005714.jpg

Recent "victims" of hurricanes
PICT00556.jpg

PICT00628.jpg

Out of focus "Upside-down Jelly Fish"
PICT00548.jpg

January 25th, 2009 (Low slack tide, I won't dive it again...)
I understand these are garnishing about $500 at the pet stores (red, any way)
PICT001514.jpg

PICT001621.jpg

See my BHB pics for a number of different colored seahorses at BHB...
PICT002016.jpg

What happens when these two seahorses get together?
PICT002411.jpg

Given the time and location of the Tides on the NOAA page, is there any adjustment needed for the BHB site? +/- so many minutes from the Port Tide time?
And to be clear I understand the 'slack' part - thats roughtly +/- 30 min of the High Tide time at the BHB?
11:30am could be a day trip instead of an overnight for a 9:30am (can't wake up early enough to make the drive :p )

Given the time and location of the Tides on the NOAA page, is there any adjustment needed for the BHB site? +/- so many minutes from the Port Tide time?
And to be clear I understand the 'slack' part - thats roughtly +/- 30 min of the High Tide time at the BHB?
11:30am could be a day trip instead of an overnight for a 9:30am (can't wake up early enough to make the drive :p )
There is no adjustment. BHB is near the port.

Use the +/- 30 min as a guide for actually going under the bridge.

11:17AM H is the tide setting. There are a lot of things to see outside of bridge span and a hard current. I will be on site around 9:30 AM and enter the water between 10:15 and 10:30 AM. Then, make my way around the mooring balls south of the beach (Eagle Rays, Garden Eels, Seahorses, Southern Rays, Manatee, Nudibranchs...) and work to the east past the bridge span and under the dock pilings east to shore (Lobster, juvenile High hats, drums, crabs Moray Eels, Scorpion Fish...).

When the tides have "slackened" I'll be making my way through and around the bridge span (Octopi, rays, game fish, sea slugs, Seahorses...).

When the tide begins to move out, vis takes a dump quickly. I usually split my time there as the tide picks up and let it drift me back over to the south side, get in some more pictures and finally exit the water.

You never know what you'll find

My dive times are 1:30 - 2:00 hours at BHB

Very cool pics. I'll be there on the 12th of March in the morning to repeat your dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom