Guide to Mares regulators from 2000-2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only seen a few of these with the different logo pop up from time to time and was curious if it was a revised model MR12, something else or maybe just a logo change.
Thx
The oldest Mares service manual I have is from 1998-99. It has the bullseye purge button. But the title of the service section is "III - II SECOND STAGE" which strongly suggests this was a revised version. Perhaps the original had the yellow and green purge shown here.

Reactions: Zef
The MR10 2nd stage had a similar aesthetic purge cover but the reg in question is not an MR10 as its cover screwed on instead of being held on by a clamp ring.

There were various aesthetic iterations of Mares 2nd stages. Here is an image showing a non-bullseye version of the MR12 III (lower left):

1682177577030.png

-Z

The MR10 2nd stage had a similar aesthetic purge cover but the reg in question is not an MR10 as its cover screwed on instead of being held on by a clamp ring.

There were various aesthetic iterations of Mares 2nd stages. Here is an image showing a non-bullseye version of the MR12 III (lower left):

View attachment 780458

-Z

Probably just wasting a lot of time on this. It's was probably just a short lived marketing thing.
The reg looks just like the III with the clamp ring. I have a beta, I believe is a MR10, that I keep around just as trip spoiler insurance backup. That has the plastic clip and screw on cover.

Most of the reg's in the image have the Silver M with down arrow under center, which was used alot.
Curent logo black Mares with red down arrow under the M.
Other logos black Mares with red, yellow, green rainbow under mares. Too many variations.

My curiosity was this looked identical to the III but with a colored logo.

If I find a definitive answer I'll let you know.
In the mean time thanks for all your expertise and willingness to share.

Probably just wasting a lot of time on this. It's was probably just a short lived marketing thing.
The reg looks just like the III with the clamp ring. I have a beta, I believe is a MR10, that I keep around just as trip spoiler insurance backup. That has the plastic clip and screw on cover.

Most of the reg's in the image have the Silver M with down arrow under center, which was used alot.
Curent logo black Mares with red down arrow under the M.
Other logos black Mares with red, yellow, green rainbow under mares. Too many variations.

My curiosity was this looked identical to the III but with a colored logo.

If I find a definitive answer I'll let you know.
In the mean time thanks for all your expertise and willingness to share.
There was not much of a design difference between the III and what came after it. The major difference was the III did not have an adjustable orifice, similar in design to the Conshelf 2nd stage. My understanding is the adjustable orifice was implemented when Mares introduced the Voltrex 2nd stage.

-Z

There was not much of a design difference between the III and what came after it. The major difference was the III did not have an adjustable orifice, similar in design to the Conshelf 2nd stage. My understanding is the adjustable orifice was implemented when Mares introduced the Voltrex 2nd stage.

-Z
I actually still have a conshelf SE3 & octo and a MR22 DFC Abyss, that I still still use.

I sent an email to Mares with photos asking the model and year.
I have to be honest I wasn't expecting a reply, But, this is the reply I received.

"This is the MR12 III. It was manufactured almost 40 years ago. It is a solid piece of equipment."
Regards,

Elie Kmeid
Product Manager

I sent an email to Mares with photos asking the model and year.
I have to be honest I wasn't expecting a reply, But, this is the reply I received.

"This is the MR12 III. It was manufactured almost 40 years ago. It is a solid piece of equipment."
Regards,

Elie Kmeid
Product Manager
I just compared the part numbers for the individual parts in the MR12 III to the Voltrex/Abyss and they exactly the same except for the exaust valve and the poppet seat.

From the diagrams, the exaust valve of the MR12 III looks to be smaller. The poppet seat diameter can be measured and punched from epdm rubber sheet of similar thickness. The rest of the parts in the kit are some o-rings, a ziptie, and small nyloc nut.

Here is a link to a discussion thread where you can find the Mares parts numbers for the o-rings crossreference to parts that are fairly readily available:

Other than sourcing the exaust valve and the poppet seat, your MR12 III should otherwise still be serviceable.

-Z

Thx for sharing that thread link. Chris did a great job compiling and xref all those parts and sourcing info.
I'll take a closer look when I get back home over the weekend.

Really riveting read on history of MR12 posted on Scubaboard here:
Voit MR12 rebuild a success!

Read @lowwall's peerless post #15.

Under Mares, it became the Abyss.

The XR DR is the current iteration of this superlative second stage:
1682459771936.png

Shiny!

Back
Top Bottom