Guide to Mares regulators from 2000-2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like to find an old Voltrex to try ..Don J..
They show up on eBay all the time, although usually as part of a regset. Here's a tip, the Voltrex, Abyss, Orbiter, Turbo and Ruby second stages are all the same reg with different face plates. Since you are in Jupiter, I'm sure they are on your local Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace as well.

They show up on eBay all the time, although usually as part of a regset. Here's a tip, the Voltrex, Abyss, Orbiter, Turbo and Ruby second stages are all the same reg with different face plates. Since you are in Jupiter, I'm sure they are on your local Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace as well.

Thanks much for the help ...I didn't have the turbo on my list .. I have seen a couple of sets with a bunch of stuff I don't want/need just to get that 2nd stage .. Will stick with the MR12 for now ..was good enough for all those years ..Gonna need to wait a few months now "winter" didn't even break 80 today Brrrr ! ...Ha ..I remember cleaning boat bottoms as a side job ..2 wetsuits and heat packs and it was still cold ..Have had enough cold water for the rest of my life ..Thanks Again for your help .. Don

Thanks much for the help ...I didn't have the turbo on my list .. I have seen a couple of sets with a bunch of stuff I don't want/need just to get that 2nd stage .. Will stick with the MR12 for now ..was good enough for all those years ..Gonna need to wait a few months now "winter" didn't even break 80 today Brrrr ! ...Ha ..I remember cleaning boat bottoms as a side job ..2 wetsuits and heat packs and it was still cold ..Have had enough cold water for the rest of my life ..Thanks Again for your help .. Don
I was down there 2 weeks ago. 81 degree water at the end of November just felt weird. I doubt many Florida divers are still pretending the climate isn't changing.

I was down there 2 weeks ago. 81 degree water at the end of November just felt weird. I doubt many Florida divers are still pretending the climate isn't changing.

It's the end of the "season" seems like it always stays warm into Nov at least "My Memory" ..Takes a while to warm up in the spring which can surprise you ..then sometimes cold water comes in from deep ..ugh ..usually means lousy viz and maybe even south current .. been there done that ..when your "working" you still have to go as the people who planned this trip from oring Kansas all year don't care about the cold ..or viz ...or seas .. Ha Sound like I was burnt out ?

My wife and I still dive Mares Abyss 1st stage from 2001. She still has the same second stage. My 2nd stage was "brought in dented" apparently by me when getting it serviced... sigh... So, I have an 82x 2nd stage. My question, is there some benefit to upgrading our 1st stages? The Abyss's have been bomb proof, never an issue. I do find the 82x breaths better or at least I think it does:) Regardless, wondering if there is a reason to upgrade to a newer 1st stage. We do 2 warm water liveaboards a year. May head to Galapagos next year or two and do some dives on Monterey to prepare. Few other spots that will require a dry suit. So, maybe a little cold water diving. Thanks!

There is no advantage for you to “upgrade”other than a lighter and thinner wallet. I have a pair of MR22 1st stages Circa 2000/2001 and Abyss 2nds with the turbo cover that dive absolutely fine, no reason at all to change them.

A slight dent to the metal body of the abyss 2nd stage is not a problem unless it affects the function of the internal parts…If you still have it and are not interested in seeing if it can be put back into use I would be willing to take a crack at it.

The nomenclature 82X refers to the 1st stage. It is typically paired with a Mares Epic 2nd stage which is a metal body, pneumatically balanced, adjustable 2nd stage. While it is a bit more Gucci than the older Abyss 2nd stage it replaced, I don’t believe the benefits offered outweigh the cost compared to the simple workhorse performance of the Abyss 2nd stage.

If you do decide to upgrade, I would be interested in your current gear so shoot me a message if/when the time comes and you are interested in selling what you currently have.

Cheers,
-Z

There is no advantage for you to “upgrade”other than a lighter and thinner wallet. I have a pair of MR22 1st stages Circa 2000/2001 and Abyss 2nds with the turbo cover that dive absolutely fine, no reason at all to change them.

A slight dent to the metal body of the abyss 2nd stage is not a problem unless it affects the function of the internal parts…If you still have it and are not interested in seeing if it can be put back into use I would be willing to take a crack at it.

The nomenclature 82X refers to the 1st stage. It is typically paired with a Mares Epic 2nd stage which is a metal body, pneumatically balanced, adjustable 2nd stage. While it is a bit more Gucci than the older Abyss 2nd stage it replaced, I don’t believe the benefits offered outweigh the cost compared to the simple workhorse performance of the Abyss 2nd stage.

If you do decide to upgrade, I would be interested in your current gear so shoot me a message if/when the time comes and you are interested in selling what you currently have.

Cheers,
-Z

Thank you. I have no burning desire to spend money for no reason:) While heavy, I have no issues with the Abyss 1st stages as long as they can continue to be serviced. I can't remember what happened to that 2nd stage. I'll have a look and if I find it, you are welcome to it.

Reactions: Zef
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. I saw this 2nd stage on ebay.
It looks like a Mares MR12 III except the purge button logo is different and I was curious if anyone knew if it is a MR12 III or some other model. It has the metal bypass and metal case with the same looking hard rubber black cover.
Just curious.
Thx

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 46
I found another listing of an MR2 III with the same purge button at http://www.clubsubacqueoscaligero.i...p?KeyCode=1&iframe=true&width=1200&height=900

It's a very small picture, but good enough for the ID
showimageh.aspx

IMO, $225 is a very optimistic price for an MR III in this condition even with the outdated console. The Italian listing at 60 Euro is a lot more realistic.

• Funny
Reactions: Zef
I found another listing of an MR2 III with the same purge button at http://www.clubsubacqueoscaligero.i...p?KeyCode=1&iframe=true&width=1200&height=900

It's a very small picture, but good enough for the ID
showimageh.aspx

IMO, $225 is a very optimistic price for an MR III in this condition even with the outdated console. The Italian listing at 60 Euro is a lot more realistic.
Agree price is pretty high. I am not looking to buy this reg just interested in trying to id the model and year because it looks like the MR12 III with a different logo. As you posted the MR12 III has what I call the bullseye logo. https://scubaboard.com/community/attachments/iii-jpg.574844/
I've only seen a few of these with the different logo pop up from time to time and was curious if it was a revised model MR12, something else or maybe just a logo change.
Thx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom