Guide to Mares regulators from 2000-2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me the 75xr seems blockier and uglier than the MR15, but the 15 is no work of art either.

The 72X and the 75XR are like the Spinal Tap versions of 1st stages with the plethora of LP ports that they have.

-Z

To me the 75xr seems blockier and uglier than the MR15, but the 15 is no work of art either.

The 72X and the 75XR are like the Spinal Tap versions of 1st stages with the plethora of LP ports that they have.
Here's the 15x and 72x (showing off its extra ports) for your viewing pleasure(?). The 15x does have the advantage of being really inexpensive for a diaphragm reg.
600_1.jpg

mares-ultra-72x-regulator_1.jpg

The 75x’s are really heavy first stages. I don’t think I need to worry about trim weights with them. They come with the oil filled cold water kit. But it is the old style kit, not the new dual piston kit. I got the feeling that there may have been a version at one point that was dry from talking to the us tec guy. The 15x retrofit kit is dry.

I installed the dual piston dry kits on both of my sets of 72xs. This was partly because of the cover popping off issue and partly because of the environmental sealing.

The other thing I like about the 72x is the angled hp ports. They make for a really clean backmount doubles setup.

we thought of using the 28x as deco regs because it has the turret. The 82 x looks really large for whatever purpose.

we use the 15x for recreational course instructional purposes and are very happy with them.

image.jpg

Not sure when they introduced this guy, but if it was on the Mares site last year I must have missed it. The ad copy on the Mares website claims:

"The 62X is the smallest first stage in the diving market, coming in at a mere 63mm in height and weighing only 464g (DIN). This small-but-mighty first stage is 10% smaller and lighter than its 52X predecessor, with 30% less volume, yet still boasts all of Mares regulators' innovative features!"

I would be interested in an exploded diagram with parts list of this reg to compare with others in the mares lineup. I am wondering if the insides use the same as their other diaphragm 1st stages or if this reg is the answer to a surplus of parts they had lying around from their discontinued MR42 1st stage.

MR62X:
mares-62x.jpg

-Z

Those are really expensive compared to some of the other regulators. We revised our order of them this year because they did not seem to have a big advantage over either the 15x or the 72x, except for the size maybe. If they came environmentally sealed that would be a different story.

We were going to get them because we wanted the dual adjust second stages. Now, we put on a black faceplate onto a dual adjust octo if they want that as a primary second stage.

Mares has this way of packaging the first and second stages in particular combinations that can be frustrating. In addition, they generally don’t sell the first and second Stages separately. They told me they do that to minimize inventory.

I have a bunch of loops doing nothing, because that’s the only way you can get the 72x.

The Loop 2nd stage is ok if one plans to run the LP hose down under the arm and up to one's mouth (what seems to be affectionately known as the "streamlined" setup)....except that it lacks the versatility to route the hose any other way.

It is kind of like Mares has had an identity crisis the past few years when it comes to their regulator designs.

Western European websites seem to market the 72X with the either the Loop or the Fusion.

-Z

I would like to start a discussion about the 72x and the 75x first stages. The 75xs are now discontinued in the US. There is in particular a claim somewhere that the 75x is good to 400 M. The hose routings with the 8 ports is particularly useable for backmount doubles.

Are you planning a dive to break Ahmed Gabr's record (332.35 M)?

-Z

No. Too cold and dark down there for me. But I am curious how they figure out how a reg would work that deep. If it can work that deep, it might be ok for everything else.

I have take a pair of 72x’s below 300 feet and they worked fine. I did not use the loop second stages for that.

Since 75xs were so cheap when discontinued in the us, I bought several of them. The plan was to use them in our technical diving program for rental equipment up to 300 feet.

used only mares mr12 for work in the 80's as a divemaster / instructor in FL .. Got tired of the HP seats popping ..Found a Sherwood 1st stage from that weird side draft reg they had .. It was a High flow 1st stage with a simple to service piston that didn't blow out .. Made this reg bulletproof ..never washed ..used every day for years ..wish I had it now

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom