Guide to Mares regulators from 2000-2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello , just bought (30 USD) nearly unused Mares MR12 IV second stage with first one equiped with one HP and four LP ports. Is it MR12 first version without black plastic cap ?

20230818_095932.jpg
20230818_095913.jpg
20230818_100013.jpg
20230818_100020.jpg

Hello , just bought (30 USD) nearly unused Mares MR12 IV second stage with first one equiped with one HP and four LP ports. Is it MR12 first version without black plastic cap ?
The first is the MR12 that originally came with the III second stage.

It is the first version of the 12 as we are familiar with it today. However, this was a development of the original Voit, then AMF Swimmaster, MR12, which Mares first sold as the MR12 ii.

1_1cec62e2a19451f0b9651f541e70372c.jpg

Great , so besides non-replaceable high pressure seat it could be fully maintained using Mares service kits ?

Great , so besides non-replaceable high pressure seat it could be fully maintained using Mares service kits ?
You got it. When you are looking at service kits, the latest (46201370) will have the poppet (the T shaped piece that seals against the high pressure seat). You have to buy it separately with the earlier kits.

Here's the current kit which is for both DIN and yoke (INT) (from Maintenance spare parts kit for Mares regulator first stages )
9902kit-ricambi-1-mares-i-stadio-462013551_2.jpg

The poppet is at top right. This is the current version of the poppet. It was called the ACT valve when they first released it, but they have very confusingly changed the name to Trimaterial 2K18. Trimaterial was the name of the version that immediately preceded this one. I need to write a separate post on that when I have a bit more time.

The only thing I'm not sure will work is the top hat filter. The stage (and the kits) originally came with a simple disc filter. I think this will fit, but don't have first hand knowledge.

Ok to clarify kit 46201370 will contain all needed orings and filters and only poppet should be taken from older kit ? Anyway i've got very good scuba service guy in city so i'll discuss it with him.
Thank you.

Ok to clarify kit 46201370 will contain all needed orings and filters and only poppet should be taken from older kit ? Anyway i've got very good scuba service guy in city so i'll discuss it with him.
Thank you.
No. You want to install the poppet that comes in the current service kit. Most older factory kits and aftermarket kits don't include any poppet. It has to be purchased separately.

Mares has made at least 4 versions of the T-shaped poppet over the years. All of them will work, as will an aftermarket part from Trident and one used in many Aqualung regs. The difference is in how long they are expected to last. Mares states that the current version, which is labeled either "ACT" or "Trimaterial 2K18", is good for 2 full years, while earlier versions required either inspection or replacement annually.

Sorry for the confusion.

Great , this kit is available in Decathlon Poland shop for 25 USD. Thank you !

Reactions: Zef
Hi lowwall ....
Not to hijack your thread but I have a question about the MR22 series regs serial nnumbers. I have read your articles and called no joy. What gives with the serial number sequence of these? Some have an "E" prefix, some an "EE" prefix. Some with no prefix at all. Is there any correlation between serial numbers and year of manufacture or place of origin?
Any assistance Is appreciated.
Thanks .... JP

Hi lowwall ....
Not to hijack your thread but I have a question about the MR22 series regs serial nnumbers. I have read your articles and called no joy. What gives with the serial number sequence of these? Some have an "E" prefix, some an "EE" prefix. Some with no prefix at all. Is there any correlation between serial numbers and year of manufacture or place of origin?
Any assistance Is appreciated.
Thanks .... JP
The letter prefix indicates the item. Note that the prefix refers to the whole package. For example, according to a tech bulletin from 2012, an Abyss that came with the Navy set has an NV prefix, while an Abyss Octo has an OY. The number part is sequential for each prefix, so you can't tell which of two stages was made first unless they have the same prefix.

Except for the dozen or so prefixes mentioned in tech bulletins, I don't know what any particular prefix means. Nor do I have any idea what range correlates with what year or if the letter prefixes also indicate the factory.

Mares certainly has this info somewhere, but they don't share it with the public. I should note that I'm not a Mares authorized technician (I have taken rsingler's reg tech course) and do not have direct access to their technical documentation. Everything I reference is stuff I've found online.

Reactions: Zef
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom