Guess who and when?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
34980_406931378198_633803198_4580519_6920452_n.jpg

Who are these folks, an easy question, in what year do you think it was taken and why?

I have seen much earlier shots of Lloyd with one or the other of the boys, so they had been SCUBA diving for sometime. Then again, certification was a new thing around this time so you could be right. There are gear clues in the photo as to the year, guesses?

I can't quite make it out in the picture but is that Lloyd Bridges with a SINGLE HOSE regulator? Now there's something you don't see every day. It sorta looks like a J-Valve first stage on Jeff's tank so I'm guessing that would put it a little later than 1967--perhaps 68 for 69.

They are all using backpacks, and the Calypso-J looks to have an LP inflator hose on it, so I'll guess about 1970.

SeaRat

The only hose that I can see in the Calypso-J is in the HP port. That is an early Calypso-J with an SPG. I would guess mid to late 60's. The HP port is in the middle of the regulator barrel and it is the early one which was straight out (not an an angle like the later ones).

I remember seeing that type of rotating cam on the stainless steel tank bands, but I can't remember the manufacturer. I think Healtways (or maybe a very early Scubapro), but it could have also being Sportways.

I can't see the regulators on the left two tanks, but the valve on the tank that Lloyd is holding looks like it could be a Healtways.

1966 during the filming of Around the World Under the Sea. I think Beau and Jeff were visiting their father on the set.

I don't know how you guys are seeing some of those details--where are my bifocals? Now I'm noticing something peculiar about the J-Valves: Lloyd's is up, Beau and Jeff's are down, and Jeff does not have a rod to pull the valve. That could mean: Lloyd used less air and didn't ever go on reserve, or Beau and Jeff were taught not to use J-Valves (as per my NAUI instruction in '69), but then why would Lloyd be using the J-Valve? I'd think since they are father and sons he'd be dictating their use, or not to use. Jeff still could have reached around to pull his J-Valve down. But they don't necessarily look like they've been in the water recently, judging from their hair. But then the whole thing could have been staged.

After reading the other posts I'd say yea, definately an early Calypso J with SPG on Jeff's tank--the tire knob dispells any doubt. I never saw an SPG before 1969 but that doesn't mean there weren't any. Voit seems to be missing from this picture--did they make backpacks? My old US Divers backpack has a vertical handle. I can't remember if my Healthways had an angled handle like those in the pic. It must have otherwise I'd have no reason to hate the angled handles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom