Gue utd dir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HullBlister

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been reading the UTD site and had some questions.

They talk a lot about being part of the DIR Instructional community and how their curriculum was developed with the DIR standard in mind.

Up until this point I had thought that the only DIR specific course offerings were provided by GUE.

Is there competition?

I was also confused about some other comments from the UTD site that seemed to imply that they provide teaching materials and curriculum for instructors regardless of agency affiliation. This doesn't really seem like it would gel with those other certifying agencies.

Can anyone help me understand and mabye give some insight to me?

Thanks!

Blister

This doesn't really seem like it would gel with those other certifying agencies.
Why would they care?

DIR is just a set of diving policies and procedures.

Why would they care?

DIR is just a set of diving policies and procedures.

I think they would care because UTD is providing curriculum for those agencies instructors to use. From what I read it sounds like the agency is bypassed, and the instructor is "accredited" to use UTD materials in their respective agencies courses.

Those certifying agencies' reputation, insurance, and business model is based on a curriculum that is specific to them. If you have another agency providing materials & curriculum for those agencies instructors, doesn't that nullify, or at least damage (in a business sense) those things?

Blister

I think they would care because UTD is providing curriculum for those agencies instructors to use. From what I read it sounds like the agency is bypassed, and the instructor is "accredited" to use UTD materials in their respective agencies courses.
That would be a good thing. Have you seen some of the older TDI manuals? or the PADI Tech manuals/videos

Those certifying agencies' reputation, insurance, and business model is based on a curriculum that is specific to them. If you have another agency providing materials & curriculum for those agencies instructors, doesn't that nullify, or at least damage (in a business sense) those things?
Hardly. Who gets the money...thats what matters.

Hardly. Who gets the money...thats what matters.

Great! I'll get my check over to GUE right away! Hopefully they can get my Fundies through Cave 2 cards in the mail the same day. Any idea what size photo to send? I think passport size will work.

Blister

Great! I'll get my check over to GUE right away! Hopefully they can get my Fundies through Cave 2 cards in the mail the same day. Any idea what size photo to send? I think passport size will work.

Blister

woooooooosh

Thinks of it as the diving equivalent of Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.

I don't see it being very popular. I like the idea, but I don't see people buying into it.

Plus the name sounds like a sexually transmitted disease.

Blister

Depends on the agency. Mine (NAUI) allows me to customize my curriculum, as long as I maintain a minimum standard set by the agency.

I wrote a lot of my own material ... and much of it is compatible with the UTD approach to diving.

DIR is no longer the express domain of GUE ... if in fact it ever was. As soon as they decided to can Andrew, they had to expect that he would find ways to market his expertise through other channels.

After all, GUE didn't invent any of that stuff ... they just packaged and marketed it, like anybody else can if they choose to.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thinks of it as the diving equivalent of Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.

I don't see it being very popular. I like the idea, but I don't see people buying into it.

I agree and while I'm not sure it will catch on, more organized competition might just be the umph GUE and some of their instructors needs to be more responsive to their customers.

Currently those of us who understand DIR know it when we see it - even when its not via GUE. This new effort could just makes it easier for the newer diver to know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom