GUE training and deep diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If there is quality equipment that accomplishes the same purposes for 60% of the price, why pay the premium?

Don't get me wrong, I like my Elcipse set-up, but the webbing isn't better than cheap webbing I've got elsewhere. The backplate isn't any sturdier or otherwise materially different from cheaper plates, and the wing isn't twice the quality of one that costs half as much. If I hadn't found mine on sale for $350 used, I'd have never paid full price for a Halcyon setup personally.
I agree with you on that.

Halcyon BP&W set ups start at £800 here. I can buy other manufacturers set ups for £400-500 (I have no doubt that by picking components up here and there that I could build a BP&W cheaper if I tried). Unless someone can show me £300-400 of increased value between the two sets, there is no way I would ever buy Halcyon.

I agree with you on that.

Halcyon BP&W set ups start at £800 here. I can buy other manufacturers set ups for £400-500 (I have no doubt that by picking components up here and there that I could build a BP&W cheaper if I tried). Unless someone can show me £300-400 of increased value between the two sets, there is no way I would ever buy Halcyon.

Halcyon short BP has been a game changer for me and a number of women I’ve encountered online. I believe they are currently the only mfg. $225 - $25 more than the standard sized BP. Worth every freakin’ penny.

Halcyon short BP has been a game changer for me and a number of women I’ve encountered online. I believe they are currently the only mfg. $225 - $25 more than the standard sized BP. Worth every freakin’ penny.
Buying an individual component due to a specific attribute (such as plate length) is a different issue and I have no doubt that buying that one component is a game changer. In that case, it is a no-brainer.

My current set up is a hybrid of Scubapro backplate, IST wing and no name harness. I was mis-sold my initial set up by an LDS (BP+ doubles wing despite repeated comments about single tank only but I was too wet behind the ears to push it) so needed to switch the wing out for a single wing (IST was the cheapest at the time). Needed to replace the harness due to damage so bought new webbing and re-used the D-rings, triglides etc. Overall it cost me quite a bit more than it should have but still probably less than the Halcyon kit.

If I was replacing my current set up (due to theft) or advising someone on it, I would say buy a mix and match set. I reckon I could build the BP&W for around £350-400.

In my experience (through teaching dozens of GUE fundamentals classes) whilst most wings/backplates/harnesses look alike at first glance, there are a lot of details that make them work better or worse.
I am certain that many wings work fine, however many of them do not, and make it very hard for divers to become stable with proper trim. Almost always if I have a student who is struggling, putting them in a Halcyon wing helps fix the problem.
I do accept that they are more expensive than alternatives, and everyone has to make their own decisions about worth, but I have found that they work properly, and make my diving (and my student's diving) easier.

I look at this from a slightly different perspective: I know that the majority of people I dive with, and most of the dive centers I use, also have/use the Halcyon equipment. This has the great advantage that if I need to borrow gear for whatever reason (forgotten at home, broken, didnt fit in the airline weight restriction), I will be able to borrow exactly the same gear that I am used to. You might say a good diver should be able to adapt, but it’s very nice if your rear dump is exactly where you expect it to be, and you dont have to fumble around looking for it. The same goes for other small details.

Now if you think I’ve had too much koolaid or you dive with other folks or found other favorite gear, thats also fine with me ;-) just saying what works for me.

I have three BP/W setups, with another two for the wife. Two of them are generic backplates, HOG wings, and Dive Gear Express harness sets / cam straps etc. They're fine for single tank diving. I also bought them during a black-friday sale so I got a (relative) bargain. Ones an ali plate with 23# wing for travel diving and the other is a steel / 32# setup for local temperate water diving. All up I think I built all four for around $1000 US.

The last is a twinset Halcyon setup that I bought for about 1/2 price from a defunct scuba shop. I can appreciate that the quality of everything is just so much better than the home-made rigs. But would I have spent the money on 5 different halcyon setups? Not a chance.

The generics were just fine for Fundies (rec) and I concur that Fundies is an awesome course, at least mine was. I also did it early, I think i had less than 50 dives at the time.
A NEW divers view on GUE Fundamentals

Back
Top Bottom