GUE Stage Bottle at T1 Level

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like GUE is following UTD's lead and adding the option for T1 divers to take a stage bottle. Max depth (180') and max deco time (45 min) have been increased, but still one deco gas... To me this is really most beneficial for allowing two dives off one set of doubles. This is helpful in areas (like SoCal) where you do two T1 dives on a charter, but where the boats can be small enough that getting two sets of doubles on can be problematic (not to mention the pain of changing gear on a pitching boat). It also saves money (stage is way cheaper to fill than a set of doubles). It's just a shame there are so few T1 instructors, as scheduling the dives for the endorsement will be a real hassle.

http://www.gue.com/files/Standards_...ges/Technical_Bulletin_090904-002_T1_Plus.pdf

Thanks to liuk3 for the link.

Edit: The new limits strike me as a bit strange, as in addition to the AL80 stage, you'd really need an AL80 for 50% now as well (you aren't doing 45 minutes of deco on an AL40). That's also a TON of deco to do on back gas if you lost the single bottle. Just seems like two deco bottle territory. Still, the stage for logistical issues is a nice inclusion.

The 2-dives-off-doubles rationale is the reason I'd love for there to be a Fundies-plus equivalent. Doubles + one stage without the complication of different gases gives you the same benefit on a rec boat, and sounds like a good way to get comfortable with the setup required for T1.

Looks like GUE is following UTD's lead and adding the option for T1 divers to take a stage bottle.

I don't understand why anyone would care if "GUE" adds the option or not. Just dive it and who gives a rats a$$ what GUE thinks.

Adding the one bottle, though, just isn't a big deal. I think we started carrying the 40 two weeks before T1, never practiced switching to it, and it just wasn't an issue in class. Now, going from one bottle (T1) to three bottles (T2), that strikes me as a big jump.

How many dives are you doing on your rec boats? For two dives, we'd just bring one set of doubles each, which was plenty of gas. For three dives, we'd bring three sets of doubles (for two divers), and transfill from the third full set to one of the two nearly empty sets, and then dive the two now half filled sets.

The 2-dives-off-doubles rationale is the reason I'd love for there to be a Fundies-plus equivalent. Doubles + one stage without the complication of different gases gives you the same benefit on a rec boat, and sounds like a good way to get comfortable with the setup required for T1.

I don't understand why anyone would care if "GUE" adds the option or not. Just dive it and who gives a rats a$$ what GUE thinks.

Sure, but it'd still be nice to get some supervised practice, no? I assume there are failures associated with the endorsement dives (i.e. what gas to switch to if the stage fails, how to come off the stage and go to back gas, how to wear the two bottles, etc). This could easily be done with mentors, sure, but a class isn't a bad thing if cheap and easy.

UTD's "Tech 1" endorsement allows for use of two deco gases (50% and O2). For that, a class seems more important.

Adding the one bottle, though, just isn't a big deal. I think we started carrying the 40 two weeks before T1, never practiced switching to it, and it just wasn't an issue in class. Now, going from one bottle (T1) to three bottles (T2), that strikes me as a big jump.

How many dives are you doing on your rec boats? For two dives, we'd just bring one set of doubles each, which was plenty of gas. For three dives, we'd bring three sets of doubles (for two divers), and transfill from the third full set to one of the two nearly empty sets, and then dive the two now half filled sets.

The boat I've been on that does three dives has a compressor, so no problem there. The two-dive boats I do on a single set of small doubles, and it works fine. But it'd be nice to have the option to stay a bit longer, especially since there are often guys who bring single 130s who can hang in the water indefinitely.

that is how i've been teaching for years. It makes sense.

bottom stage good (most people were wise enough to just do this anyway)

45mins of deco on just 50% is nuts and I hope people are wise enough to give this a wide berth, about 15 mins less

bottom stage good (most people were wise enough to just do this anyway)

45mins of deco on just 50% is nuts and I hope people are wise enough to give this a wide berth, about 15 mins less

I agree, 45 mins is two bottle territory. I really dont like GUEs approach compared to UTDs approach to bridge the Tech 1 and tech 2 ranges.

I agree, 45 mins is two bottle territory. I really dont like GUEs approach compared to UTDs approach to bridge the Tech 1 and tech 2 ranges.

The revisions to Tech2 make sense to me. The Tech1 revisions are a bit of a surprise. Stage bottle being a pleasant one, while the 45mins of deco seems really aggressive at this level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom