DIR- Generic GUE Singles Weighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think with a hp100 he's going to be very head heavy already before putting on a 10lb back plate. Moving that weight down the back is going to be important.
That's a fair point. I know I am head heavy with twinsets, so the weight pouches between my cylinders are on the low side and I need heavy Hollis F1 fins (or ScubaPro jet fins).

With a single tank, I can use Deep 6 Eddy fins and have my weight on trim pockets on the lower cylinder strap and a weight belt. I could probably use a 10 lb BP with F1s. Haven't tried, but I will for the heck of it some day.

That's a fair point. I know I am head heavy with twinsets, so the weight pouches between my cylinders are on the low side and I need heavy Hollis F1 fins (or ScubaPro jet fins).

With a single tank, I can use Deep 6 Eddy fins and have my weight on trim pockets on the lower cylinder strap and a weight belt. I could probably use a 10 lb BP with F1s. Haven't tried, but I will for the heck of it some day.
With my wife we had to move her back plate as far down as we could and switch her to an AL back plate to get her close to trim with Double 100s in a drysuit. Otherwise if she relaxed she'd end up head down in the water. She trims out much better in Double 133's because of the buoyancy characteristics of the tank give us more weight we can move around.

The single tanks trim out about the same as the same tank in doubles but it's easier to muscle it into good trim.

OK , thanks. I’ll see if I can find them.

The SOPs require a membership or a class.

The SOPs require a membership or a class.
The standards don't seem to. I can download it without being signed in to GUE from your link.
Also a google search "GUE SOP" goes to a download link for the pdf.
It has been linked directly on these pages before.
For the actual step by step drills, you might need a membership or to be registered for a course, I can't recall.

Valve drills are definitely mandatory in Fundies, whether you have a single tank or doubles.

Thank you so much all for the feedback - I am going to join the Seattle GUE FB group. I am thinking right now that a combination of weighted STA, cam band weights, and a portion of ditch-able weight on a weight belt seems like it will work.

Thank you as always for the advice and friendliness on this forum!

Thanks,
Tom
My gf can’t dive right now and she has a standard DIR configuration. Just let me know if you want to try out any pouches or equipment (bp with attached weights or weighted sta or p weight). Happy to hop in the water with you.

The standards don't seem to. I can download it without being signed in to GUE from your link.
Also a google search "GUE SOP" goes to a download link for the pdf.
It has been linked directly on these pages before.
For the actual step by step drills, you might need a membership or to be registered for a course, I can't recall.

Valve drills are definitely mandatory in Fundies, whether you have a single tank or doubles.
The standards and procedures in that link and the SOPs are different documents

Hi All!

I am hoping for some advice in terms of DIR/GUE best practices when diving singles in cold water/dry suit. I primarily dive in Puget Sound with a signle HP100 + Steel Backplate and carry 20lbs of weight in a DUI Harness. I am struggling to find GUE recommendations for best practices on carrying this extra weight. I am considering options to put more weight on my rig itself (e.g. weighted STA). Before I start trying to modify - wanted to seek guidance.

What are folks recommendations cold water, singles, weighting? What are GUE recommendations when you can't have all weight on your rig? Basic weight belt? Weight harness?

Really appreciate the help and advice as always.

Hope folks are doing well and taking care of each other.

Thanks!
Tom
There's nothing wrong with the DUI harness, lots of GUE Seattle divers use them. I guess I am wondering why you want to move lead around?

Is your trim good? Can you swim up a full tank without the wing? Does the wing float the rig if you take it off in the water? (contrary to some comments here that is important if you ever want to dive off one of the RIBs active in this area)

The reason a rig has to float itself is not because of the need to remove it.

If you drysuit fails completely, your wing has to carry the rig (and all the weights) and you.
You are more or less neutral with a failed drysuit, so the wing has to float the rig.
If you want to dive off my RIB or any of the other active RIBs in this area the wing need to float the rig.

The standards and procedures in that link and the SOPs are different documents
Yes, but the person you quoted was interested in verifying that a single tank valve drill exists in Fundies, which is in the standards linked.

The SOP's come as a download if you're enrolled in a course or with at least a silver membership:

20220308_211847.jpg

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom