DIR- Generic GUE Singles Weighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people may suggest the weighted STA from Halcyon for 6 lbs of lead, but in reality that STA tends to push the cylinder farther back from the backplate making reaching the valve of the cylinder during a valve drill more difficult. A shallow, unweighted STA helps keep the cylinder closer to the backplate. The bolts on the weight insert for the Halcyon STA are also notorious for getting loose over time.
It's the same STA as the unweighted one, so there's no difference in tank position just because the weight is inserted.

It's the same STA as the unweighted one, so there's no difference in tank position just because the weight is inserted.

Yes, even the unweighted Halcyon STA puts the cylinder farther from the backplate. The Halcyon has a square profile like |______| while the other brands have an angled profile like \_______/ (except the even more angled than my text art can show) which allows the cylinder to sit farther down in the STA.

I’m still trying to figure out what a valve drill with a single tank might involve.

I’m still trying to figure out what a valve drill with a single tank might involve.

Basically being able to reach and manipulate your valve in the unlikely event that you descend with it turned off. And like most things in GUE, it is a skill that builds towards the doubles valve drill if/when you move in that direction.

Thank you so much all for the feedback - I am going to join the Seattle GUE FB group. I am thinking right now that a combination of weighted STA, cam band weights, and a portion of ditch-able weight on a weight belt seems like it will work.

Thank you as always for the advice and friendliness on this forum!

Thanks,
Tom

Basically being able to reach and manipulate your valve in the unlikely event that you descend with it turned off. And like most things in GUE, it is a skill that builds towards the doubles valve drill if/when you move in that direction.
I agree that it's something you need to be able to do, but I don't think I've ever heard of an actual GUE drill designed to demonstrate it.

I agree that it's something you need to be able to do, but I don't think I've ever heard of an actual GUE drill designed to demonstrate it.

It's included in the requirements for a Rec pass for Fundamentals if you take the course in a single tank rig. The drill is covered on Page 19 of the GUE SOPs v3.0. The Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) are available to students enrolled in GUE classes, but you may be able to google for them.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom