GUE & Halcyon Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can someone make a thread about G III? What was it?
Should have had a Coke alert!!! I haven't seen that pic in ages! Priceless.

How old is George now? I figure he's got to be pushing 70 or possibly above that.

good times...good times.
Gotta be somewhere close to that. I got so bored the other night that I rewatched part of the DIR 2004 DVD set, but he's way too tame in those compared to the older material. Regardless of age, I'm sure he's still in ridiculous shape and a masters swimmer.

"Many times I go down to Ft Lauderdale beach intending to swim 10,000 meters - the length of the beach and back. I have only made it twice. 5,000 is my normal workout, and I have done plenty of 6, 7, 8, and 9,000 meter swims, but 10 just does not come off so easily."

A few of these are *coke alert* worthy.

"At six hours we hit the first deco stop on the sand hill next to B Tunnel. We knew that the team above would be seriously worried, since we usually call the time exactly in advance. That bothered me a lot . I did my 250 stop, my 240, and then broke to 200 to se if anyone was there - they were not. I grabbed a Gator Aide and went back to 230. I got one drink before I lost the Gator Aide to the void above me. I turned off my light, drank some water, restarted my rebreather and floated in the dark. There was no sense looking at my depth or time, since I had not yet figured out a deco schedule, and had no tables with me."

"One time I did a dive with Gavin, and at 120 feet after a few stops he asked me for the schedule. I asked him to show me his. He did not have one. I told him I did not have one. He then frisked me and looked through everything in my pockets and my books. He wrote me back and asked if I had a "New York Times" he could read. I told him to get out and get it out of the van and bring it back, or I would get out and read the schedule and come back to tell him what it was. This went through my head, only I remembered taking the deco tables out of my van, and throwing them in the trash a long time ago."

“Bob, having reviewed several deco programs, I seem to remember that Chris Parrot (Abysmal) has several options for huge fat slobs. You simply enter the degree of slobbery when the program prompts you such as ‘slob’, ‘fat slob’, huge fat slob’, or ‘typical central Florida cave diver’ (this option covers you for eggregious fat slobbery, alcoholism, cigarette and pot smoking, and extreme levels of stupidity). Give Chris a jingle and he’ll fix you right up. If you lied about your weight and are really a four hundred pounder, give John Crea a call.”

"Better yet, don't dive with strokes who use OMS gear. It is like the BMW commercial which says that a BMW is designed to avoid accidents, not survive them. In my opinion OMS gear is made by and for the worst idiots on the planet, so it needs to accommodate crawling on the bottom with no buoyancy control, digging in mud with scooters, bashing into walls, ceilings and floors, and diving with a junkyard on their back. I saw an OMS display at a tech conference, and it looked like a police evidence table in a stupidly case.

You can make wings out of anything you want, but if you can not dive, it will make no difference. My 15 year old Dive Rite wings look like they have never been used, and the only set of Halcyon wings I ever punctured was in a bag on Mexicana - never had a problem while diving with them. I wish Halcyon would go back to the light material that conforms to the tank rather than try to make them so strokes can use them.

By the way, I had a rebreather that came with OMS bondage wings on it. When I first learned rebreather, my instructor made me try several kinds of rebreathers (but it was in a pool and he was standing there ready to pull me out). My dog jumped in when I inflated the bondage wings on the surface and attacked them. Bill Mee and I could not stop laughing for an hour. Even the dog, which never touched a piece of my dive gear before, knew when something did not look right. The problem is that the dog is smarter than the guys at OMS."

Against all of George's advice, I dived with each of the 3 Bills,
Bill Oestereich
Bill Rennacker
and Bill Dooley
and I still maintain that it did not hurt me one bit. I must be farm animal stupid.

Michael

I'm not a meme person but this always gave me a chuckle :)

upload_2020-4-29_9-8-24.png

Gotta be somewhere close to that. I got so bored the other night that I rewatched part of the DIR 2004 DVD set, but he's way too tame in those compared to the older material. Regardless of age, I'm sure he's still in ridiculous shape and a masters swimmer.

"Many times I go down to Ft Lauderdale beach intending to swim 10,000 meters - the length of the beach and back. I have only made it twice. 5,000 is my normal workout, and I have done plenty of 6, 7, 8, and 9,000 meter swims, but 10 just does not come off so easily."

A few of these are *coke alert* worthy.

"At six hours we hit the first deco stop on the sand hill next to B Tunnel. We knew that the team above would be seriously worried, since we usually call the time exactly in advance. That bothered me a lot . I did my 250 stop, my 240, and then broke to 200 to se if anyone was there - they were not. I grabbed a Gator Aide and went back to 230. I got one drink before I lost the Gator Aide to the void above me. I turned off my light, drank some water, restarted my rebreather and floated in the dark. There was no sense looking at my depth or time, since I had not yet figured out a deco schedule, and had no tables with me."

"One time I did a dive with Gavin, and at 120 feet after a few stops he asked me for the schedule. I asked him to show me his. He did not have one. I told him I did not have one. He then frisked me and looked through everything in my pockets and my books. He wrote me back and asked if I had a "New York Times" he could read. I told him to get out and get it out of the van and bring it back, or I would get out and read the schedule and come back to tell him what it was. This went through my head, only I remembered taking the deco tables out of my van, and throwing them in the trash a long time ago."

“Bob, having reviewed several deco programs, I seem to remember that Chris Parrot (Abysmal) has several options for huge fat slobs. You simply enter the degree of slobbery when the program prompts you such as ‘slob’, ‘fat slob’, huge fat slob’, or ‘typical central Florida cave diver’ (this option covers you for eggregious fat slobbery, alcoholism, cigarette and pot smoking, and extreme levels of stupidity). Give Chris a jingle and he’ll fix you right up. If you lied about your weight and are really a four hundred pounder, give John Crea a call.”

"Better yet, don't dive with strokes who use OMS gear. It is like the BMW commercial which says that a BMW is designed to avoid accidents, not survive them. In my opinion OMS gear is made by and for the worst idiots on the planet, so it needs to accommodate crawling on the bottom with no buoyancy control, digging in mud with scooters, bashing into walls, ceilings and floors, and diving with a junkyard on their back. I saw an OMS display at a tech conference, and it looked like a police evidence table in a stupidly case.

You can make wings out of anything you want, but if you can not dive, it will make no difference. My 15 year old Dive Rite wings look like they have never been used, and the only set of Halcyon wings I ever punctured was in a bag on Mexicana - never had a problem while diving with them. I wish Halcyon would go back to the light material that conforms to the tank rather than try to make them so strokes can use them.

By the way, I had a rebreather that came with OMS bondage wings on it. When I first learned rebreather, my instructor made me try several kinds of rebreathers (but it was in a pool and he was standing there ready to pull me out). My dog jumped in when I inflated the bondage wings on the surface and attacked them. Bill Mee and I could not stop laughing for an hour. Even the dog, which never touched a piece of my dive gear before, knew when something did not look right. The problem is that the dog is smarter than the guys at OMS."

There's a couple in there I'd never seen. I love the deco program and dog smarter than guys at OMS

There's a couple in there I'd never seen. I love the deco program and dog smarter than guys at OMS
I've got a bunch more, but don't want to derail the thread and/or get a TOS violation so I'll leave it at that. This was actually relevant to the thread in a slightly offensive roundabout way in that GI3 used Dive Rite wings for years with no problems and actually had a slight issue with Halcyon's decision to change the material to a thicker more stroke-proof design.

ok, one more.. :p

"I thought about the first question on my rebreather exam, "What kills the most rebreather divers". I had answered, "Rule Number One", Jack Kellon got pissed , he said "Task loading". He told me Tom Mount had answered that question correctly, and he failed me and Bill Mee. We laughed until we cried, "Task Loading". Bill Mee and I are the only guys who ever failed the rebreather test. However, Mount and Jack were correct - turn your back on the rebreather snake and it bites you.

My dad had a German Shepherd named "Lucky". If you turned and walked away from Lucky, he bit you in the ass. He bit eveyone but me and my dad. My brother was his favorite bite. The secret was to pet Lucky before you turned your back, and to display no fear of him. Everyone who did not "pet the pony", or was "scared" inside, got bit. Some things never change."

@O-ring he doesn't look much different now than he did in those pictures... Older sure, but still like he could wrangle a bull to the ground by the horns after having swam 5 miles.

I'm sure @The Chairman won't mind you posting more though, it's been a while. He can snap at me for asking for them!

To add some relevance back to thread I took Fundies with 0 pieces of Halcyon gear. Obviously this is quite a different era than the early 2000s but it really wasn't an issue.

EDIT: Actually I had an OMS wing although it was not a BWOD (bungee wing of death). :)

“...You simply enter the degree of slobbery when the program prompts you such as ‘slob’, ‘fat slob’, huge fat slob’, or ‘typical central Florida cave diver’ (this option covers you for eggregious fat slobbery, alcoholism, cigarette and pot smoking, and extreme levels of stupidity). "

Dang, I miss Tec diver/Cave Diver (even decostop) forum. I remember those but this one was a instant classic!

Dang, I miss Tec diver/Cave Diver (even decostop) forum. I remember those but this one was a instant classic!
lol...yeah. Hard to narrow it down and explain exactly why, but it was just more fun back then. I was looking for two other classics, but got busy with something else and forgot. Maybe I'll pick it up tomorrow. The ones about "The Weenie Stop" and hearing things "straight from the trailer of famous strokes" I'll skip for obvious reasons. :p

EDIT - just found one of the all time classics (when Dogtrner1 tried to call out Pina for solo diving), but it won't fly here so I'll PM it to you. Now I need to track down the old VBTech vs. AUE with GI3 in the mix thread. The one where JT loses his composer ("which composer did you lose, JT? Mozart?") and Citelli's famous rundown of the stages of a Capt CF dive and Marguerite's monkey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom