gue fundies pre reqs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it's between him & bobby franklin of divers i've seen...

If you fail the exam dive you have to retake the entire course not just the exam?
And if you get a rec. pass you will have to take a shortened "exam dive" where you show the missing skills, for instance show buoyancy and valve drills on doubles if you took the class with single tank, to get the tech pass?

If you don't pass the water "test", you'll likely (almost assuredly) be given a provisional. You just need to come back and retest (should be a rather nominal cost). You have six months to pass at the rec level. After that, you have as long as you want to upgrade to a tech pass. That would involve another "test" dive demonstrating the requisite skills (doubles valve drill, back up light deployment, proficient back kick) at the tech standard.

If you fail the exam dive you have to retake the entire course not just the exam?
And if you get a rec. pass you will have to take a shortened "exam dive" where you show the missing skills, for instance show buoyancy and valve drills on doubles if you took the class with single tank, to get the tech pass?

If you don't pass the water "test", you'll likely (almost assuredly) be given a provisional. You just need to come back and retest (should be a rather nominal cost). You have six months to pass at the rec level. After that, you have as long as you want to upgrade to a tech pass. That would involve another "test" dive demonstrating the requisite skills (doubles valve drill, back up light deployment, proficient back kick) at the tech standard.

The back up light deployment was pretty difficult and unfortunately we didn't practice it enough....it really showed in our class...

If you don't pass the water "test", you'll likely (almost assuredly) be given a provisional.
Thanks, that's what I thought I had read before. Got confused when there was talk about taking the course twice earlier in the thread.

You retake a class if you fail it. Most instructors won't fail someone who has a good attitude and is trying, although they will sometimes do it if their opinion is that there is no way the person will make a pass within six months. You also retake a class if you can't meet the requirements the instructor puts on you for reevaluation -- either you can't do whatever homework you were assigned, or you can't pass the reevaluation dives. It is very much left to the discretion of the individual instructor as to how much leeway he wants to give a student to try to pass a class. Some are generous, as my Fundies and Triox instructor was, and some are not.

Wow I posted this a long time ago and just came across it again. Two years later!! I ended up taking primer about 9 months ago and then fundies 6 months ago at about 70 dives and got a rec pass. Have spent a lot of time working on skills to try and upgrade to a tech pass with my new dive buddy/mentor. This has been a long road but well worth traveling.

Congrats on earning your Tech Pass Neal!

Well deserved!!!

Didn't realize this was you Neal - congrats on your tech pass! It was great to see you (and Kathy) in HS the other week!

So.... what's next?!? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom