GUE, DIR, and Philosophy Conclusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
After taking the final today for philosophy class, I have to say that I am sad the class is over. Panos is one of the best instructors that I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. His instruction was clear and his delivery was superb. He is very passionate about his teaching. He has the unparalleled ability to explain seemingly complex details with ease.
The charisma that was exuded (even when I resisted and attempted to degrade his methodologies) by him caused a transformation of sorts in both my philosophical ideologies and my basic approach to diving.
As for diving information, speaking to him was like stepping into a mental library of diving knowledge. The VPM stuff (guinea pig testing) that he and JJ (plus others) are doing is baffling. I ask simple questions and get unbelieveably well thought out answers.
No wonder that people who get into GUE instruction are so dedicated. Panos radiates excellence.

I am slowly being

ass
im
il

a

t

e

d!

Now, if GUE would let me solo dive in peace, sidemount, no-mount, dive neoprene suits in Alaska, and let me carry a couple of reels, etc...., I would be totally assimilated. Also, I don't mind diving with strokes as long as they are friends or family. My mother will never be DIR, but I will dive with her anyway.

:wink:

Cheers,
Jamie

Can't carry reels? I know where a bunch of caves with no line are amd I'm thinking about putting some in. I think sidemount will be the only way to get it done.

Why can't you carry reels? Do you always sidemount or just in the small stuff?

I think he's referring to using gap and safety spools instead of reels. The primary line and any exploration line is done with reels.

Roak

Roak is correct.
Spools are par for the course. I like to fill a pocket with spools for playing in Ginnie or any of the other recreational systems, but always carry a couple of jump reels. As for exploration reels, I've burnt up two full reels in the last two weeks plus a Dive Rite primary reel. I even unwound a spool. I knotted a little over a thousand feet this morning and hope to put it in tomorrow.

If you want company, I may make the drive to put in new line. I get great enjoyment out of being somewhere no human has ever been.

Cheers,
Sherpa

Divesherpa once bubbled...
After taking the final today for philosophy class, I have to say that I am sad the class is over. Panos is one of the best instructors that I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Cheers,
Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Where are you taking a class with Panos? UF?

Just wondering...

Thanks,

Rob (aka, wydt)

HI Rob,
I don't believe that he's teaching anymore. I think this was his last semester.

Divesherpa once bubbled...
HI Rob,
I don't believe that he's teaching anymore. I think this was his last semester.

Was just wondering... I've heard others speak very highly of him as well.

BTW: Welcome to the darkside. :wink:

DSAO!

I'm solo-ing tonight, so I am not there yet:wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom