DIR- GUE GUE blessing new CCR model in next 2 years?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nonsense, utter nonsense. You’re telling me that 3 trimix fills, let’s say (in freedom units) 3 sets of double hp100’s so, 200 cuft of 21/35 and 100 cuft of 18/45, for the 3 t1 experience dives, approaches (or is north of) $2,000 USD? I’m not even addressing 32% and 50%, as that cost is trivial.

Remember, it’s called micro dosing, not macro dosing.

Well the helium would be like 14 bucks a cubic foot for that to be the case.

Can you point me to where helium costs that much please?

I’m no math wizard but I think that’s the ballpark needed to get to 2000 dollar fills for 3 fills.
Actually I didn't check it on my own, but I got told this by an instructor looking for places to give a T1 class in 2023. Destination in this case was Greece. Croatia at that time was really hard, since they weren't even able to get sufficient He for classes. In Greece the roughly 2k€ might have included the boat rides. Makes a difference of 500 to 700€.
During my T1 (6 or 7 years ago) we also used 18/45 for two expirience dives, which also is a bit more expensive than 21/35.
Nonetheless, you might be right. It is not only the gas bill but "additional costs" without accomodation. 🙏

25 experience dives for what?
To progress to the next class in general?​
To progress to ccr1? Because, if you're referring to this one, GUE HQ has been offering "waivers" for some time now.​
So a diver who has no tech experience would get a waiver to jump straight into CCR1 after T1? In what reality? Waivers are there for future instructors who need to be one level above what they teach or for the rare experienced diver who needs to get through GUE courses for a project. Not for the majority of T1 graduates who are supposed to dive OC trimix.

Yes you need some experience. What happens is that a lot of people drop after T1. Few keep diving 30 meter wrecks, j*** off on the internet and call it a technical dive because they did 5 minutes on O2 - instead of 7 minutes of backgas deco they could've done like the rest of the boat. Or dive "deep" air like the rest of us :wink: .

If there were so many brilliant T1 divers actually diving according to GUE rules, it wouldn't be so difficult to get helium. And the fact that you just don't see GUE CCRs on the boats probably shows that it's just not a viable path anymore.

Also, "glorified AN/DP", seriously?! This is DIR; AN/DP cannot be glorified; AN/DP is a deep air course; deep air is outright stupid.

AN/DP is brilliant, it trains you to dive some decent wrecks, in the 30-40 meter range and gain enough experience to move to CCR trimix if you decide to do so. There boats full of divers who make these dives every weekend.

So a diver who has no tech experience would get a waiver to jump straight into CCR1 after T1? In what reality?
Yes; the current reality:
2024-06-27_12-41-27.png

Yes you need some experience. What happens is that a lot of people drop after T1. Few keep diving 30 meter wrecks, j*** off on the internet and call it a technical dive because they did 5 minutes on O2 - instead of 7 minutes of backgas deco they could've done like the rest of the boat. Or dive "deep" air like the rest of us :wink: .

If there were so many brilliant T1 divers actually diving according to GUE rules, it wouldn't be so difficult to get helium. And the fact that you just don't see GUE CCRs on the boats probably shows that it's just not a viable path anymore.
The remainder of the whimsical words that you've assembled via keyboard-smashing ain't even worth addressing.

I'm a member of one of the oldest, largest, and most active GUE Communities in US. People regularly execute T1 trimix dives in this community—heck, I've done 3 T1 trimix dives over the past 2.5 weeks, and I'm not even the most active diver (in this community).

So now we are really off the original topic, but...
What could I expect to budget for a Tech 1 class?
$400 /day x 6 days = ~$2,500, plus $1,000 gas for myself and share of instructor?
Plus travel and lodging, plus boat crew and tips if not shore diving?

So now we are really off the original topic, but...
What could I expect to budget for a Tech 1 class?
$400 /day x 6 days = ~$2,500, plus $1,000 gas for myself and share of instructor?
Plus travel and lodging, plus boat crew and tips if not shore diving?

I can speak to Seattle data points for the current/local instructor group:
Tuition: ~$2500.00 (instructor gas cost included in tuition)
Gas: ~$300 for helium-based gas mixes - $500 at the absolute max
Swim Test: $10-$20 depending upon the facility
Course Registration: $150 (payable to GUE)
Misc Expenses: Varies

Missing something here. You blow $3k+ on T1 then don't use it before jumping into another $3k+ class for CCR?

ANDP will give you the skills for bailing out and doing accelerated deco dives with nitrox or even light trimix. These dives don't require the use of expensive standard gases and give access to a lot of great wreck diving. Heck, even doing 30m/100ft dives for an hour or more bottom time then accelerating the deco on a rich gas.

All of those skills are extremely relevant for CCR diving as it's about planning, bailout and carrying rich decompression gases.

Obviously ANDP won't do the "special" ways of certain agencies; just the skills to go and dive safely.

Yes; the current reality:
View attachment 848187

Now show me the diver who just passed T1 and has no other tech experience getting the waiver to start with deco CCR1 dives. You need those 30-40 meter dives to get comfy with deco overhead, so ANDP…

The remainder of the whimsical words that you've assembled via keyboard-smashing ain't even worth addressing.

I'm a member of one of the oldest, largest, and most active GUE Communities in US. People regularly execute T1 trimix dives in this community—heck, I've done 3 T1 trimix dives over the past 2.5 weeks, and I'm not even the most active diver (in this community).
Y’all Yanks are too rich for the rest of the us. Meanwhile here in the UK, even Underwater Explorers (a very DIR and GUE aligned shop) had to stop carrying helium because they couldn’t sell enough volume.

What you see is a lot of people on CCRs, deep air or the funniest of them all - CCRs with trimix dil and air as bailout.

(I’m writing this wearing a GUE member shirt :rofl3: )

Anyway, would love to see GUE look at other CCR units, maybe even in a setup intended for CCR-only teams and as close to stock unit as possible …

There is GUE CCR diving in the UK, I was on a boat full of them last week, happily jumping on stuff from Portland. The weekend before it was more 8/10 GUE JJs on a boat out of the Tyne. Its the majority of a boat out of Fraserburgh in August for a week. We are here.
I'd suggest UE stopped carrying He for the competition with the Gas shack, with most He on rebreathers and general total volume trending down I think two competing sheds in very close proximity was always a challenge, lets be honest about the setting.

Back to the original question, another rebreather being approved, no idea. Too busy diving to worry about it for now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom