Guanaja?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tedtim

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone out there have any experience they can share diving Guanaja? I saw this website for Coral Bay Dive Resort http://www.coralbay.ca/ in Dive Newswire. I had never really thought to investigate Guanaja as an option.

Guanaja is dying for a rebirth. (I meant to say that!)

Before Mitch, it had previously enjoyed two successful dive resorts, afterwards, things went downhill. The air connections (not) provided by TACA and its feeder airline, Islena, sealed the coffin.

I would encourage you to take a risk, take a chance. Go for it. But....

I looked at their rather "generic" website that was packed with pix from Cayman and The Dept of Tourism, Honduras. I really know of no Guanaja property that has such a pool, and it may easily be inferred since they say that they are not yet operational, the pix of the pool replete with SCUBA Classes might have been from some other property.

Curious that there is no location mentioned or shown for the property on the website. The dive operation, obliquely mentioned as being "licensed" for 17 years, called "Dive Time" shows up on no Google search for Cayman or Honduras.

I would assume that the $650 price on their website is for room, board and maybe diving. Consider all of the transport including transfers. Still- it might be worth the adventure. I missed the "first wave" to my favorite Bay Islands resort by 9 months. If I'da only known!

If your adventurous, do some more poking around. Unfortunately few here on SB that make it to Guanaja.

I did find that Roatan Charter is repping it- they're quite reputable!
http://www.roatan.com/rates/Honduras/CBDR_rates.htm

So I called them and asked....

They said that this was formerly an Italian kind-of place, now reborn. The owner is currently down there and has everything up and running except Nitrox, that should be soon. I got a warm and fuzzy feeling, yes- it seems that the place is operational.

They will run you from whatever gateway airport via a chartered 172 or 201. Roatan Charter seems to believe in it, so good enough for me!

Thanks,

I was as much interested in the diving on Guanaja as the resort. I only found one other resort listed (End of the World Resort). Both of the sites list only boat diving. Any shore diving there as well?

Another location to consider in planning. As for me, I will probably wait until a few folks have used the facilities and posted a trip report somewhere before considering booking. I am adventursome, but by permanent dive buddy is not.

tedtim:
I was as much interested in the diving on Guanaja as the resort. I only found one other resort listed (End of the World Resort). Both of the sites list only boat diving. Any shore diving there as well?

No shore diving in my limited knowledge.

The big draw was the Jado Trader, a wreck sunk in 1987 in 100fsw, 260 long that sits off of Mile Deep Wall. There are many more spots- even better, but everybody loves a wreck.

Really- go! I trust Roatan Charter to tell me the truth. Ask them what they think.

The best place on Guanaja used to be Posada del Sol, but I don't think they operate anymore. There was Bayman Bay club, which was rustic even before Mitch put it out of its misery. Recently, I think there have been a few places which bill themselves as dive resorts but which are really just local boat owners working in tandem with the umm..., quaint hotels in Bonacca Town. I'd never heard of the Coral Bay before today, but I guess if their grand opening is this week......?

The diving is good. The wreck of Jado Trader is one of the signature dives. Also "Jim's Silver Lode" where you swim through a tunnel filled with silverside minnows and emerge into an underwater amphitheater where they feed large groupers and the big green morays are available for lap dances.

As everywhere in the Bay Islands, bring DEET.

Make sure to take your malaria meds if you go there...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom