Group diving - must have DM by law?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, there's not a law mandating that divers be guided. There is a Coast Guard regulation that there must be a spotter on the boat (in addition to the captain) for drift dives (not applicable to undocumented vessels...those with a max capacity of 6 passengers). This applies to all of Hawaii, not just Maui as someone mentioned. But, again, no state law regarding divers being guided.

In Ni'ihau, I would highly recommend following the guide. In fact, I would totally agree with any dive op that said you had to follow a guide on that trip. With lots of drift diving and currents, etc...you need (yes, need) to stay together as a group.

not quite sure but I think the Hawaii law reads something like this to run a dive boat charter the people diving must be supervised meaning a DM or Inst. in other words if they are a paying customer the supervison must be there in one form or another how ever I dont see why the insurence company said pay unless the divers were intros that were not supervised. sort of sounds like all the facts are not present to us so theres no way to say. Padi has lawyers that have been beating these types of suits for a very long time. Not to mention that certified divers are responsible for there own actions under water unless the guide put them in a situation that any logical thinking person would intrupt as reckless.

Back
Top Bottom