Group diving and photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems I may not be such a Rarity after all! I must tell my wife this as she keeps thanking God that he only made one like me!

I am happy to have crossed by this thread; I am not alone!

On a recent trip I was a straggling photog. I was then tailgated by another DM for the rest of the dives. A lovely reflection in my mask - quite annoying. I was not happy and my photos are crappy from this recent trip. I could just be making up an excuse for crappy photos:wink: - but I felt pressure that I may be ruining it for others.

I can see the other side of the coin. The DM feels responsible for the divers, especially in 'high traffic' areas like Cozumel. However everyone signs a waiver. I have a 'new rule' it may not be popular, but no American DMs. I want a laid back native. If I die taking a photograph because I ran out of air or my subject attacks me - I'll either be a good example of what not to do, or an awesome happy hour story!

My feeling is, it is easier to find fellow divers in drift dives, you swim with the current and viola - there is the group! I don't want to be a reckless diver, but I don't need a babysitter. In the future I will be more clear about where I want to dive, and let the dive op know I plan on taking photos. This past trip was a good learning experience for me. I was spoiled in the past.

That is why I love places like Tulamben in Bali, Bunaken, Lembeh in N Sulawesi, they would arrange 1 guide to 2 divers or even a solo diver. Well, can't expect places where the wages are high to provide personal guides, unless we are prepared to pay...
I always ask the dive center what is their divers to DM ratio before booking...
Sometimes it helps to show the DM/ guide the photos you have taken, if the photos are good, they will look out for you more & when they find critters, they will show them to you 1st. :D

Just back from India (The Lakshadweep Islands)
This was not a dive holiday, the diving was just part of a pleasent weeks break, however I did have 5 dives with my camera, two with my wife acting as buddy.

On all the dives the tailend DM did his best to keep me in contact with the group but I always felt I had to hurry up and keep up with the group.

Diving with my wife as a buddy was much better, even though she is relativly inexperienced, I knew she would stay close, and keep a lookout on where the group were heading.

In the past I have had to abandon dives as I found myself alone and unable to find the group after a few minutes searching. As I travel to dive I don't have a pony bottle available, that would be my first choice. I have asked for DM as a buddy but only 1 dive operator (in Malaysia and it was free) provided one even though I have offered to pay.

Bonaire is perfect, unlimeted shore diving, no dive leader just go where you want and at your own speed.

Victor

Good advice from everyone. After loosing the group the first time, I did arrange with one woman to be my buddy and she was pretty good about it the rest of the trip. Our boat was divided into three groups of 5-6 divers ,each group with 1-2 dm/guides. Each group dove the same sites but our splash times were staggered by 5- 10 minutes. Many of the dives were drift dives, but many were out and back. This meant that some times all of the groups intersected and during these times it was really hard to take photos and to stay with my group.
I think a "team" of photographers is a great idea, but that wasnt going to happen on this trip. My group of 6 had three photographers each with different levels of diving and photography experience (I was the least experienced diver, but not the least experienced photographer) and despite my suggestions that we team up, nobody (including myself) followed through.

I think I would feel pretty comfortable diving alone if I had a pony bottle. At any rate, I decided on this trip that I wasnt going to go on any more UW photo trips without my wife :) !

I love diving with my photography buddy. I am not a great photographer and don't mind at all hovering while he waits to get that perfect shot. I act as the time keeper and group-watcher so that he can focus just on the shot. I also act as a guide by pointing out things that he may not see when he's intensely focused on a macro shot (like a manta flying overhead or a nearby shark). I don't feel as if I'm getting the short end of the stick either. A lot of divers who buddy up with uw photographers feel as though they are buddyless throughout the dive. I don't feel that way. Since I am never more than a few feet away from him I know that he's there in case of an emergency. He may not be paying that much attention to me, but he's not unaware either.

good things happen when the group leaves you behind (at least photo wise). I usually end up solo after going down with the group for the same reasons folks listed above. Here is a recent pic from my last trip where I let the group go far ahead and stir things up in another location. I was hanging around by myself and this turtle decided to come over to me and stare for a while. you can see the bubbles of the group in the distance.

after one of the group noticed the good times he tried swimming over real fast and scared the turtle off and silted up the place.

so my advice (not worth much) is: 1. get a good buddy, 2. dive with other photographers, 3. prepare to dive solo.

IMG_2775.jpg

I quit diving in groups for uwphoto unless I want to take pictures of the group. If I happen to do it by a lack of choice or let's say a challenging dive, I just go along with it without much expectations on the photographic side, trying to get the a bit of photos along the way without hampering the group...

Normally I hire "personal DMs", dive in different timings, dive alone or with my own buddy/model, but things like these should be arranged before you travel.

I reckon that the animosity runs both ways, the only thing I can do to lessen this it is to teach my students to avoid it.

Great shot. I have one similar -- not as good as your's though--from Jupiter FL where I was the last one in the drift dive and I came upon a turtle that the others never saw.

I bought a small UW camera after a night dive where I was the only one that noticed a turtle and a nurse shark sleeping side by side in a small "cave". I was tail end Charley on that dive I couldn't attract the rest of the group's attention, so when no one believed I saw that turtle and shark nestled together I bought a camera before my next dive.

Now I make very few dives where I don't bring a camera, but often it's simply tucked out of sight if I'm diving with a group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom