Group diving and photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since I don't always have the luxury of diving without a group, my buddy and I usually stay to the rear of a group and avoid getting too far behind. One advantage is that if you shoot backwards, you can avoid getting other divers in the shot, which can be really hard with a fisheye or super wide angle lens.

In many ways I think it got easier once I switched to DSLR because I am much less inclined to try to take a photo of everything I see, partially because for half of stuff I have the wrong lens. This makes it easier to be a better buddy and to keep an eye on the group.

Depending on the dive plan, it can also be possible to catch up to the group when they double back.

I would say most of the time dive ops are quite accommodating for photographers within the limits of also making sure everyone is safe and accounted for.

That's why I always suggest our guests to inform us if they are UW photographer, that way we can arrange private guide for them here in Bali. Or to make sure we not put them together with beginner divers.

I am a photographer myself and I understand the feeling when you are joined with a regular diver. It will make everybody not happy :depressed:

Another dive center in Manado that is highly praised for it's service for UW photographer is Lembeh Dive Lodge. You even can have one boat for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom