Group diving and photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mintaka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've had enough dives with my camera now to figure something out: Everytime I dive with a "group" , I feel rushed when it comes to photography. On my last trip (without my usual wife-buddy), I had a couple of instances where I stopped for only a short time ( < 3 min) to take a shot only to realize that the group was gone and I was alone at 70 ft. For me, being buddy-less at that depth is unacceptable and I made sure that it didnt happen again, but to do that meant to hurry and not take the time that it takes to setup and/or wait for a shot. Is this a pretty common for UW photographers ? How do others handle this when they are forced to group dive ?

Me and my buddy are also amateur UW photographers, and what we ussually do is the one of us is the photographer and the other acts as some kind of buffer between him and the group. My buddy would stop to take a picture and I try to keep an eye on him and the group at all times. if the group goes to far, I go back for my buddy and we swim in the direction I last saw them. It has always worked for us, some times he is the photographer and i'm the buffer and sometimes the roles are reverted.

This is, in the case that you have a buddy that can help you this way. In the case that I don't have a buddy like this one, I'd take quick pictures and hope that they are OK. Or you can tell the DM that you're taking pictures and tell him to be sure that they don't abandon you.

It happens all of the time to me and my other photog buddies. I remember being completely left alone on a dive in Thailand. I did the 360 slow ascent and miraculously, the guide found me. Most of the time, I can catch up to the group. Sometimes I'm a solo diver. Best to have a pony bottle with you because groups will not wait for photogs. It's a fact of life.

It happens all of the time to me and my other photog buddies. I remember being completely left alone on a dive in Thailand. I did the 360 slow ascent and miraculously, the guide found me. Most of the time, I can catch up to the group. Sometimes I'm a solo diver. Best to have a pony bottle with you because groups will not wait for photogs. It's a fact of life.

Don't rely on a buddy! As simple as that!
I have always dived by myself when taking photos, as non photographic divers have no respect for what you are trying to acheive or the money you have spent to do it. I know this will cause a storm from the undertrained brainwashed cattle who call themselves divers these days but if you are properly trained and carry the required equipment then why do you need a buddy. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars over the years on camera equipment and as I earnt my living from the photographic industry for a very long time and have almost 6000 dives logged, I don't need some cowboy DM with 100 dives under his or her belt telling me I have to stay with the group and how long I can stay on a particular dive. I make this very clear when I book dive trips and liveaboard trips and if the owners don't like it I won't go with them. (interestingly, I've never been refused this request by an operator.)

Now you may say that I am a rarity in this day and age but if you look at the divers who have been diving for more than twenty years most of them dive the same way. And the reason for this is that we have all realised that under the water, we are all alone. And we were properly trained!

Also let me add that if a diver comes to me and asks if they can dive with me I have no hesitation in saying yes as long as they are prepared to look after themselves on the diveand not get in my way!!

Last edited:
Well, there are certain places where I really do not want to be left alone. Cocos and Galapagos are two that come to mind. I've made the choice of "is getting the shot worth it?" and at those two sites, I decided it wasn't. On a nice easy dive in Wakatobi, it was a no brainer...just follow the wall until you catch up with the group. For me, it all depends upon the conditions and my comfort level. I am not a great navigator so if I think I won't be able to find my way back to the boat, then I'll cut my shooting time short. That's why I like drift dives.:D

If I am planning on shooting photos and diving with a group I need to do two things:
First, discuss this plan, ahead of time with the other divers, to make sure they understand my intentions and needs, and agree to my plan.
Two, make sure that I also make the effort to be aware of the group at all times.

They did not just leave you, you allowed them to move away, unseen by you.

Better yet, pick a buddy team that has the same focus as you, photography, and develop team awareness, as well as self rescue skills, because as has been mentioned, photography diving can be essentially solo diving.

When diving with a group I keep my focus on the group dive plan, and if I am carrying the camera it takes second place threw out that type of dive.
On a recent Rhode Island dive I was with two new buddies and in a low viz. During our SI, when I showed them the photos I had taken on that dive, they were surprised that I'd taken any, as I never dropped back, or got separated, even in 5 to 7' viz. It took a lot of focus on my part to maintain contact, and I had to consciously pass up many shots that could have been "improved" by more time. It was not a photo dive, but a dive where the camera was simply available when quick shots were possible.

When doing dives for photo, I focus completely on that, and not on being with a team of buddies. Best done solo, or at most with only one other diver who is either willing to stay and help spot, or is another photo diver, which essentially makes you and them same ocean "buddies".

When photographing, unless I am with my long time buddy / partner and model then I carry my own pony and dont worry about the group...but not everyone wants to do this...

What you can do is ask the dive centres policy on photographers - some will sort the groups accordingly and a good DM should be taking care of all the divers.

The more you photo, the less you will want to be with the group for exactly this reason, so you will find yourself choosing your dive centre based on being able to dive free of a group. If you dont feel confident to conduct your own dives then find yourself a good diver / instructor who will help build your skills and confidence so that you do feel comfortable to do so.

Well, there are certain places where I really do not want to be left alone. Cocos and Galapagos are two that come to mind. I've made the choice of "is getting the shot worth it?" and at those two sites, I decided it wasn't. On a nice easy dive in Wakatobi, it was a no brainer...just follow the wall until you catch up with the group. For me, it all depends upon the conditions and my comfort level. I am not a great navigator so if I think I won't be able to find my way back to the boat, then I'll cut my shooting time short. That's why I like drift dives.:D

Fair Comment FB!

Photography/Videography rarely works out with non-photogs as buddies.

Before the splash, make sure the group/buddy know what your intentions are and that they clearly understand the dive plan...then watch in amazement as they leave you behind.

Get a pony and learn to become a solo diver unless you have a regular dive buddy that gets it.

Dive only with UW photographers. :D Everyone should be moving at a very slow pace.

California diving (off of boats) is generally not led by a DM. I prefer this arrangement. My dive buddy and I just mosy on at our own pace. We go where we want to go and do what we want to do without having to keep up with a group. If we want to stay in one place for 20 minutes to snap pics of a particularly photogenic nudibranch, then that's what we do.

When we have found ourselves at the mercy of a DM-led excursion, we'll ask the DM during the pre-dive briefing where he/she intends to go. If it's a standard out-and-back dive plan, then we'll tell him that we plan to move at a very slow pace. Generally what happens is that some speed-freak jumps to the head of the conga-line and burns through his gas in 20 minutes. The DM chases him down and begins to head back to the boat. When he passes us, we'll turn back towards the boat...but continue at our own pace. The one exception to this is Cozumel where drift-diving off of a "live" boat is the norm. We'll usually make more of an effort to keep the DM within sight then.

If you aren't fortunate enough to bring along a trusted buddy, then you are at the mercy of your insta-buddy. Good luck with that. Articulation of your goals during a pre-dive conversation is critical in this case. If the insta-buddy doesn't have a camera, see if you can convince him to be your spotter. Share your pics with him as a reward.

As a general rule, I prefer not to dive with a large group of people. There's always someone who doesn't have good buoyancy control and silts out a site with good photographic opportunities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom