Grocery question ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue Sue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Not a direct diving question, but...Any tips on where/how to purchase fresh meats, poultry and fish on the island. Three times now, after checking the appearance, texture and smell of chicken at Mega, I have found the meat spoiled by the next day. Thanks in advance for any help.

Best to all, Double S

I would buy fish from the Fisherman's co-op on Ave 5 (next to the cemetery). Mostly they are already frozen but sometimes you can get them fresh before they get them into the freezer. I bought a snapper there a few months ago that had just been caught and was still unfrozen. Best fish I have ever eaten. I've never had any problem with chicken purchased at either Mega or Chedraui but then I usually put all my fresh meat into my freezer and only haul it out to defrost on the day I'm going to cook it. Lots of people like a place whose name is escaping me at the moment...Pachadeli or something like that. I also bought some meat from the grocery store up near Sam's Club and was happy with it. I don't have a Sam's Club membership but again, I know people who buy all their meat there.

WE buy ours at Sam's. But I would not categorize Mega's as rancid.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I buy meat/poultry/seafood primarily at Sam's, Mega, or the mercado and occasionally at Sorianna if it's super fresh - but at Mega I buy from the counter, not whatever they have pre-packaged.

Mega is now owned and operated by Sorianna BTW - quality has gone down at Mega and up at Sorianna based on my observations. Strange but I often find fresher meat and produce now at Sorianna oer Mega.

I buy meat/poultry/seafood primarily at Sam's, Mega, or the mercado and occasionally at Sorianna if it's super fresh - but at Mega I buy from the counter, not whatever they have pre-packaged.

Mega is now owned and operated by Sorianna BTW - quality has gone down at Mega and up at Sorianna based on my observations. Strange but I often find fresher meat and produce now at Sorianna oer Mega.

Where does Chedraui fit in here?

Where does Chedraui fit in here?

I only buy produce there when it looks good, and non-perishables and a few things (non-perishable) that they carry when others don't.

I don't buy anything from heir bakery, seafood or meat department - they recently replaced their refrigerated and frozen coolers - so I am selectively starting to buy refrigerated items.

It's always been a filthy store in my opinion - not the chain's Flagship store by any means. Chedraui in other places is spotless - this one is very poorly managed in every department.

Thanks for the info to all...I might give Mega one more try...Perhaps it was just bad luck that the counter purchased chicken spoiled in the fridge overnight..Then again, I just may get set up with a Sams membership before my arrival.

Double S

Last edited:
What's "spoiled" are you people who live on Cozumel. :) I am always impressed with how well stocked the supermarkets are there, considering it's an island.

What's "spoiled" are you people who live on Cozumel. :) I am always impressed with how well stocked the supermarkets are there, considering it's an island.

You're kidding right? Hahaa!

Try living here and having to shop year round and having to go to every store to get the basics because one store is literally out of a staple item - like MILK or eggs When they run out of something - they just fill in that space with another random item.

The tourist birdseye view may seem as if we are stocked as well as a US grocery store - but that's not the case at all.

I'm ok with what we are able to get here - after 17 years you adapt and are grateful when a new product arrives - but better stock up on it because once word gets out, it will be gone in a matter of hours and may or may not ever be ordered again!

I was actually once told by a grocery manager at Chedraui when looking for a popular item I had been purchasing for months: "Yeh we stopped carrying that because we sold too much of it and it was hard to keep in stock" :facepalm: Ummm - ok Mr. grocery manager - obviously he took Merchandising, Inventory Control and basic Economics 101

You're kidding right? Hahaa!
. . .
The tourist birdseye view may seem as if we are stocked as well as a US grocery store - but that's not the case at all.

I wasn't comparing Coz stores with US stores. Who in their right mind would expect a grocery store on Coz to be as well or as consistently stocked as a store in the US, or even in a major city on the mainland of Mexico? I mean, it's an island off the Yucatan--geographically, it really is kind of remote. I was comparing what's available to Coz dwellers with what's available to other island dwellers around the world. You may run out of milk and eggs sometimes, but still I marvel at the fact that they keep your island as well supplied as they do.

Maybe you need a goat and some chickens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom