Grenada - Peter Hughes liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read the reports on CDNN and this took place in Belize in 2001. I will be in Grenada and would rather focus on that area of diving. I did read the the articles with an open mind and was saddened that the passengers themselves did not have the sense to say enough is enough - let's get off of the boat. I think over the past few recent years people are much more aware of the power of a hurricane or storm - at least I am. My sympathies to the families who lost loved ones.

Aggressor, Mike Ball Dive Expeditions and Nekton - all good liveaboard operators - have had passenger deaths. Are you implying that passengers on liveaboards are more susceptible to death than non-liveaboards or just happened to hook into the Peter Hughes name?

In any case, I am interested in hearing from folks who have been at the Grenada location with Peter Hughes- not Belize.

I was on the Wind Dancer when in was based at Grand Turk. I'm thinking of doing the Grenada trip, but no one will have reviews of it yet as this is the first year they are doing it. They used to have the Island Dancer based there which sounded great until I read complaints that they didn't really head far from Grenada to hit things further north in the Grenadines as originally planned or implied, which to me would have been the point of doing the trip. (I heard this was due to customs/immigration, but the cynical side of me suspects fuel costs.) I'm hoping this will be different, the Wind Dancer carries more passengers so maybe it will be more worth their while.

The Wind Dancer itself is an ok boat, older and not quite as slick as some other Peter Hughes boats but fine. Roomy public spaces but some of the cabins are pretty small. The lower the number the bigger the cabin. We booked late and were in one of the smallest cabins, couldn't have 2 people doing something at the same time at all. They get a little bigger as you go forward and the bit of extra space looked like it would make things much more manageable. The Master cabin #1 was palatial in comparison, on the upper deck away from all the others and only accessible from outside.

Thanks. We used our PADI discount of 10% off and pretty much saved the equivalent cost of the fees, taxes etc ($160). I read that they are to go a course through Carriacou, Mustique, Bequia and Isle de Rhonde-- all of which are North of the actual island. Also, despite being 3 degrees south of the hurricane zone, St. Georges took a direct hit during a freak twist of hurrricane Ivan. Nutmeg trees were badly damaged. My husband was in the army and jumped into Grenada in 1983. We want to visit the memorials while on land.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom