Greetings from NYC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

another welcome to ScubaBoard!!

Welcome to :sblogo:
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:chicken:

smilies-41093.png

Want it all now, huh? You need your Nitrox card about as much as your Aow.

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Always good to try a Search before starting a new thread, tho :search: - click here for Search help, and be careful about posting Threads & Replies before reading the Sticky threads at the tops of most forums. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

dave4868:
As far as exceeding your certification, it's great to see a diver who's able to think for herself! Good for you!

This young lady exceeded her certification depth limits for OW by a factor of two, even exceeded the AOW depth limit, and apparently penetrated a wreck as well.

I don't consider this "thinking for herself..." I consider it very foolish and potentially risky behavior that should not be encouraged.

Get your AOW certification WaterDance. Of course even AOW won't qualify you for what you did.

drbill:
This young lady exceeded her certification depth limits for OW by a factor of two, even exceeded the AOW depth limit, and apparently penetrated a wreck as well.

I don't consider this "thinking for herself..." I consider it very foolish and potentially risky behavior that should not be encouraged.

Get your AOW certification WaterDance. Of course even AOW won't qualify you for what you did.

I respect and understand your opinion on this, drbill.

Yours is a widely-held, well-intentioned, sensible opinion that probably helps prevent some injuries to divers who otherwise might dive way beyond their ability.

However, I also respect people who take responsibility for themselves, who make their personal diving decisions based on their own assessment of the risks and on their own assessment of their knowledge and ability, especially if they've had the support and guidance of other experienced divers.

Individual responsibility... gotta love it... no warning labels required. :)

Dave C

welcome to the sb... I also recommend doing your AOW in florida ... in MANY cases it will be MUCH cheaper than the caribbean--both food, hotels, and dives. There are hundreds of places in south florida that have nice diving. Its not just the keys. Check out the local forums for information about dive operations in southern florida.

HI Waterdance, I just received my AOW in Oahu, Hawaii. I dived in Waikiki and Hawaii Kai for my AOW certification. There are plenty of wreck dives and deep dives to soothe your curiosity and qualifications. You can guarantee to see turtles in Hawaii during each dive. I had a great time over there.

By the way, it cost me around $340 for all dives and reading materials was included.

dave4868:
I respect and understand your opinion on this, drbill.

Yours is a widely-held, well-intentioned, sensible opinion that probably helps prevent some injuries to divers who otherwise might dive way beyond their ability.

However, I also respect people who take responsibility for themselves, who make their personal diving decisions based on their own assessment of the risks and on their own assessment of their knowledge and ability, especially if they've had the support and guidance of other experienced divers.

Individual responsibility... gotta love it... no warning labels required. :)

Dave C

Dave... based on her post, this diver has neither the training nor the experience to make a truly informed decision on what is appropriate. As for the advice of "other experienced divers," I know of dive instructors who have taken newly certified divers to depths of 160-240 feet on air with no backup. I wouldn't say much for the value of their "experience."

I myself take risks in my diving, going solo to depths of 200 ft on air (but with backup). I have 45 years of diving experience to back up these decisions, but they are still potentially risky ones. I assume the risk based on my knowledge of my response to narcosis and to equipment and other emergencies.

Does WaterDance have the ability to assess her reaction to narcosis or equipment failure? Without knowing her personally, I think not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom