Greetings from NYC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterDance

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All~
I have been looking for a place that would help me decipher which trip to take next and I seem to have found it. I was certified last September in a quarry in Dutch Springs, PA and went to Honduras this past January with a group of experienced divers where I had a Ball! We did 17 boat dives in 6 days. We went down to 140' on one dive, went through a ship wreck on another, and I even did two night dives (Bioluminesence is beautiful)

My question is, I still don't have my advanced open water certification... and doing reserach on possible trips I am reading that some boats actually check for that card. Not really intersted in Dutch Springs again (it is cold and the visability is bad) but don't have much money to spend. Where does everyone recomend that I go? My boyfriend has been diving for 3 years and he has his AOW, and I want to take him with me and not have him be bored while I do my certification.

Looking for a trip in the next few months...

Susan

Welcome to the ScubaBoard! Glad you had a great time on your trip and chose to violate your depth limit of 60ft and depth max of 130ft. At least you lived to write about it! Suggest before you let others lead you where you don't belong get proper training.
Sorry for the rip, but maybe you should rethink the consequences and not follow blindly..

Welcome to the Sb I guess the key to the whole anchalata is to get your AOW first then you won't have a problem showing your C Card. My instructor once told me that if I could dive in the conditions (vis 2ft / H2o temp 55 deg.) we have here in Oh. & Pa. then I could dive anywhere!

Ocean One:
Welcome to the ScubaBoard! Glad you had a great time on your trip and chose to violate your depth limit of 60ft and depth max of 130ft. At least you lived to write about it! Suggest before you let others lead you where you don't belong get proper training.
Sorry for the rip, but maybe you should rethink the consequences and not follow blindly..

My Thoughts exactly but didn't know how to say it nicely NICELY PUT!!!!!:14:

WaterDance:
Hello All~
I have been looking for a place that would help me decipher which trip to take next and I seem to have found it. I was certified last September in a quarry in Dutch Springs, PA and went to Honduras this past January with a group of experienced divers where I had a Ball! We did 17 boat dives in 6 days. We went down to 140' on one dive, went through a ship wreck on another, and I even did two night dives (Bioluminesence is beautiful)

My question is, I still don't have my advanced open water certification... and doing reserach on possible trips I am reading that some boats actually check for that card. Not really intersted in Dutch Springs again (it is cold and the visability is bad) but don't have much money to spend. Where does everyone recomend that I go? My boyfriend has been diving for 3 years and he has his AOW, and I want to take him with me and not have him be bored while I do my certification.

Susan

PM sent

Ocean One:
Thanks for the advice Jeff...
However, I wasn't blindly following. We all watched our computers, and were only down at that depth for less than a minute. After that we went up and did several safety stops along the way. I am really comfortable under the water, and I am very interested in getting my cards...

Where would you recommend going?

WD, the point was not how long or what procedures you used..You went beyond your dive limits, which could have major consequences if anything was to happen. Especially with insurance and medical bills.
There are many great reasonably priced trip in the Caribbean area. After figuring price location, focus on dive operator's reputation. You'll want the best for you buck and boyfriend will enjoy not matter where you go. Dive safely!

WaterDance:
Hello All~

As far as exceeding your certification, it's great to see a diver who's able to think for herself! Good for you!

WaterDance:

Susan

First, my recommendation is to suffer a little cold water and get the AOW cert locally, so you don't waste time at a tropical destination.

Otherwise, Bonaire might cost more than you had in mind, but I'm partial to it's great shore diving and diving freedom, in general!

On boat charters in Bonaire, I don't remember seeing anyone get questioned about their cert level.

How about the Florida Keys for a less expensive trip? Key Largo is nice.

Dave C

The cold is only partly the issue to get certified locally, its also that the Dive shop I use here isn't offering the advanced open water course until July 7/8

I have the bug! So, the Keys, Bonaire, or the Carribbean...

Checking out all the options, can't wait to get wet again!

While I would never recommend that someone do their OW class (or even checkouts) on vacation at a tropical destination, AOW is another story. If your training is PADI, the most time-consuming part of AOW is doing 5 dives. You aren't doing drills like mask clearing and reg retireval, or kneeling on the sandy bottom. You are doing many of the same kinds of dives you would be doing anyways, such as a night dive, a drift dive, going deep....having done AOW on a vacation myself, I can tell you that those dives were up there on the list of some of the best I have had! :wink:

Oh...and welcome to the board!

Back
Top Bottom