• Nautilus Aquatics

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • All of the above

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dermochelys

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,
I just thought I would introduce myself to the NorCal group here.

I've been away at graduate school for the past few years and I have finally landed a job here in Martinez, CA. I was certified while at my school, but being a good 5 hours from the coast my only dives post certification have been to Hawaii and Cabo San Lucas. Having just moved to Martinez I don't know anybody in the local area and working long odd hours isn't helping any. I'm still very new to diving, but I really want to focus on it more. I want to get into underwater photography, but first I need to get some more experience diving. Which leads me to my first question.

Hopefully I'll be going on a dive this Saturday and I need to rent gear. Does anyone have experience with my three local shops (Anchor Shack, Dive N Board, Nautilus Aquatic Dive Center) when it comes to renting gear. I went to Nautilus today and the owner seemed very nice, the shop was very clean, and the rental rates seemed reasonable (~$75 for the weekend). But they don't rent gloves, is this common? Being new to diving means I have NO idea as to what makes for a good dive shop.

Next question. I hoping to join a club in my general area. Any recommendations?

Well, thanks for reading, and thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

hi. i have rented gear from the anchor shack a few times, no problems. nice people there, and i like the small shop vibe.

prices:
Anchor Shack - Store
dont know how those compare to other stores...

I was searching for dive clubs in this area (I live in Benicia) last night and found this:

Diablo Sea Bears Dive Club

I have never rented gear at these shops, but have done business with them. Most of my purchases were at Dive N Board due to selection and best deals just ask. I got Xcel gloves and O'Niell boots from there. The titanium gloves are thinner and thus more dexterity due to material and design down to 44F.

I have taken classes at Nautilus and may buy my reg there.

Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like buying some glove may not be such a bad idea. I went to Dive N Board today, prices for renting were about the same and again no gloves. Very different shop feel than at Nautilus for sure. Hopefully I can go check out Anchor Shack tomorrow before they close at 5.

I have alot of experience with two of these shops. Jim at Dive n Board is awesome, a real fun guy. Kevin at Anchor Shack is very knowledgeable. I was certified there in 89 and am now a rescue diver thru there.

I live in Concord so if you want to get in the water sometime, hit me up. I also belong to North Coast Divers. A real fun group of divers that plan monthly trips. Mainly in the Sonoma and Mendocino county areas. But they also dive the Monterey area too. Check'em out at:

northcoastdivers.org

Hope this helps,

Rob

Hey thanks mrabdiver111, I'll let you know the next time I'm looking to go diving.

I stopped by Anchor Shack today to round out my tour. I met Kevin who was very nice. Nice little shop, but the rental rates are a little high. I think for my dive this weekend I'll be renting from Nautilus. I'll let you know how the experience goes. This will be my first dive in just over a year, so I'm really looking forward to it. Now that I'm 3 hours closer to the good diving hopefully this will be the first of many.

Well I did end up renting from Nautilus, everything was great and I would definitely rent from them again. If you need to rent gear in the Martinez / Concord area I think all of these shops would do just fine, but at this time I can only recommend Nautilus Aquatics. I'll be sure to rent from the other shops and see how they compare.

Back
Top Bottom