Greater Tampa Bay Area CHAT/OFF-TOPIC thread, take XVIII

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am not an expert, but I am knowledgeable on marine species growth, having been in the aquarium hobby for years. I have successfully propogated many species of stony corals etc. As far as your inshore spots keep them a secret, except that the viz is always a challenge the closer to shore. Do keep in mind that the Gulf is a very very large body of water and there is always going to be sweet spots that you can find with your own perserverence. Never knock anyone for going out with a dive boat to try and find their idea of diving. We are all explorers. We dive to see what few others have seen. We all eventually have our favorite spots. If anyone wishes to share with me their favorite spots, I am honored and very grateful.
Keep your head clear and heart pure.
Cheers,
Walt

Please don't forget our annual Saturday after Thanksgiving Turkey Fry. You can click the link in my sig for details.

@ dseiden - bladder - it is a bladder. :rofl3: I couldn't think of the name of that to save my life when you were here. Anyway,....

Artificial reefs created by sinking ships is a mystery to me. What is the point in spending millions to strip a vessel of anything worth seeing and sinking it in areas where the average open water diver can't access the full depth? It's understandable that any and all toxic materials should be removed before sinking,however all that remains is a rusting hulk of metal that may or may not be upright. Yes ,its true that micro organisms attach to the rusting pile and in time attracts large numbers of fish and corals. I will agree that it also creates an economical windfall. Eventually this rusting scrap pile ceases to be, and becomes nothing more than fine grains of iron oxide and the reef is no more. The monetary investment of ship sinking would be better served by paying for the complete dismantel and recycle of all metals and usable parts of a vessel. These funds could then be used to pay for the collection,transportation and placing of reef material that would last for many
generations. The amount of bridges,buildings and even non toxic items such as clay or
brick would create a much more stable and sustainable reef. Don't get me wrong, i have nothing aginst diving a REAL ship wreck, one lost to war,storms,running aground or a host of different reasons for sinking. These ships usually have historical and visual value and are a huge attraction to divers becuse they contain all original equipment. Everyone in the dive industry would love to see the sport grow, most people are happy to see our oceans thrive with aquatic species and fish. The gulf coast of florida fish populations would most likely triple in a short time with artifical reefs made of concrete type rubble placed closer inshore out of any shipping or recreational boating lanes where the average open water recreational diver could eaisly access. Reefs restricted to diving,spearing and fishing would rid the three activities of conflict and be an economical boost to the gulf coast.
You want the recreation diving sport to grow and remain vaible ? Try putting something
out there the average person will bother to become a diver for. The Tampa area has
only 2 ships within the area and depth limits for OW divers,the Blackthorn being the most popular. .Even the Blackthorn to bottom is beyond the 60ft limit. It also is open to fishing hunting and diving. How many times have local divers been out there and they are the only people diving on it ? It makes more sense to me to create a rubble pile 2 or more miles off shore 10 ft or more in height than to sink a 100 ft high rusting scrap pile in 150 to 200 feet of non accessable water to the air only OW diver. People lose interst in diving when they are forced to drive to the keys at a great expense of money and time,simply to enjoy a shallow reef dive. I started diving in 1972 on the west coast in the cold pacific and could view more sea life in 15 to 50 ft of water than i have yet to see on the gulf coast of Florida. I still am an OW diver and have no desire to change that status. So as things are here in the Tampa gulf area, my dive trips will involve driving 6 hours when im only 8 minutes from the gulf now.Believe it or not alot of us are quite content to stay submerged for well over an hour on a reef as oposed to hanging on an anchor line for 20 minutes after an 18 minute dive to depth. I know thats a bit of a stretch,but hopefully you get my point.

My wife and I make the drive to the other coast often. I agree with you for the most part. However the gulf isn't bad. At least in Tampa you have a lot of choices which are only a few hours away. We often will do one of the many springs that are within a few hours, The Keys, or head to Fort Lauderdale.

The Gulf isn't the best, but you could have worse in your backyard. Imagine living in Kansas.:)

Tampa is special because of the uber kewl people.:wink::wink:

Reef, what are you saying........ "however the gulf isnt bad". I Cant believe it!
A few hundred more mud dives and you will officially be converted to a Tamponian! LOL

Last edited:
Reef, what are you saying........ "however ther gulf isnt bad". I Cant believe it!
A few hundred more mud dives and you will officially be converted to a Tamponian! LOL

Right now he's just a Tampon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom