Greater Tampa Area VIII started 11/10/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Henry Morgan:
Eh..hey Mark. I can't find the number for the 200 bar din adaptor anywhere. I may be full of #!#@~.

(Though I kind of hope not, because that'd really screw with my buoyancy.)

:D :D :D :D :D

Well...actually I did find it...right after I posted. I have a European version of the parts breakdown for the mk18 dated 02/01. There are three parts you can change to make it either a 200 or 300 bar fitting....the knob retainer, the filter retainer, and the knob. The parts breakdown I have for the mk20/25 is the U.S. version dated 01/02 and it shows the fitting broken down into parts in the drawing, but only has one part number for the entire batch of pieces (called a DIN kit) and is shown in 300 bar only. I guess it was packaged differently in Deutchland et. al. where it probably came more standard as DIN. (Still has the yoke version of the fitting in their drawing also, though.)

I was wondering if you were talking about a european version/kit. DIN comes from Deutsches Institut Fur Normung, German of course and a really good explanation of the fittings can be found at http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/valves.shtml#dinfaq

My next question is what's the difference between 200 and 300 in the first stage?

eandiver:
I was wondering if you were talking about a european version/kit. DIN comes from Deutsches Institut Fur Normung, German of course and a really good explanation of the fittings can be found at http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/valves.shtml#dinfaq

My next question is what's the difference between 200 and 300 in the first stage?
Number of threads on the valve, or in other words... depth of the valve. 300 bar screws in deeper. There is NO other difference

eandiver:
Key words being first stage. Not valve.
I told you the only difference. There is no difference to anything else

There is a difference in tank valves. I know this. I have both. 200 and 300. I was told there was a difference in first stages. First stages, not valves. I am waiting for a reply from the person who first brought this to my attention. Stay tuned.

The 300 bar fitting should be longer than the 200. That way when you screw a 200 bar fitting into a 300 bar tank valve it won't seat and is unusable, but the reverse isn't true. (The length of the 200 should match up with the depth of the 200 bar tank valve's female DIN fitting.) I..think...somewhere in the diverite write-up on them it talks about that. So you could use high pressure gear (with the 300 bar fitting) with either a higher or lower pressure source without any kind of extra fitting or coupler, but can only use lesser rated equipment (with the 200 bar fitting) with a low pressure source. So it's for iterchangeability and safety with whatever they use DIN fittings for besides scuba. I can't remember all of the actual numbers...but 200 and 300 bar aren't the true ratings of the DIN connector standards. It's actually something higher.

Now...any clue wth they use DIN fittings for besides diving?

Henry,
ean won't take my word for it... so you tell him that there is nothing different in the first stage itself.

Umm....there can be. If you put a 200 bar male fitting onto the first stage, it would be shorter and wouldn't seat into a 300 bar tank valve....it'd be too short for the o-ring to seal since it wouldn't reach the bottom.

Our discussion was about whether 200 bar kits even existed for regulators. Neither of us has ever seen one, but I have part numbers for the components for scubapro regs....they're on a parts diagram for the European market from several years ago. The U.S. version of the diagram only shows the 300 bar.

The idea being that the fittings with the higher pressure rating are threaded the same, but longer, than the lower pressure ones. So, you can use a higher pressure male fitting with a lower pressure female fitting....like lots of divers do.....but not vice versa. The DIN standard apparently wasn't developed specifically for diving, but was adapted by scuba equipment manufacturers, and this pair of standards achieved some interchangeability with a built in safety factor that was desirable for it's originally intended use.

But in a way, you're right too.....all the DIN regs you see in the U.S. probably have the 300 bar fitting (also a point of our discussion), which works fine with either type of tank valve....so in that respect it really doesn't matter what you choose for your tanks, your 300 DIN reg will work fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom