Great pics of thermoclines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crass3000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The lake I dive has some great thermoclines but this year as the lake turns over the upper thermocline looks and seems to be about three or more feet thick. I haven't been bringing my camera lately cause the lake hasn't had as much viz as usual. Decent viz actually in some places but weird that it is bad in others. Maybe I'll bring my camera this coming week and take a picture on the shallow dive platform as it is really wavey/weird looking like a typical thin thermocline. Really just want to show my friend what they look like and don't want to have to bring my camera as it's just another thing that I don't ripped off (just hate to the chance when you can't typically take good pics other places that you normally could). Anybody have any great wavey looking thermocline pictures so I can show my buddy what they look like?

Thermoclines are pretty neat. I'm sure I'll never see it again but last year I saw what after thinking about it could only have been bird crap as it sank to the thermocline barrier. It was pretty wild looking. It ended up splitting up, floating up of the thermocline line, and looked like a cigarette was burning underwater. REALLY COOL.

Not looking for anything like that though. Just a representative picture I can show my friend.

Thanks if you have one!!!

El Googlio Imagio:

07-23-11-Leslie.jpg

Barracuda-Lake-Thermocline-Michelle-Ong.jpg

PICT0006.jpgPICT0007.jpg

I know they aren't the greatest of pics but I got these two in July. I find it hard to photograph the thermocline. I've tried many times and this is the best I've got.

We had a very sharp thermocline at 30 f on Saturday in a local quarry. Above it viz was 5 fuzzy feet. Below it 15-20 ft. Picture would have looked like a cloud bank from below and a fog from above.

Had the same thing in reverse on an ocean dive last year in 60 ft of water. 50 plus feet of viz down to cloud tops at around 30 ft where it abruptly dropped to 3-5 ft.

Back
Top Bottom