Great Escape=no tanks/weights-What's the best option

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frank,

It's highly likely 80+% that I would be able to make the dive, so plan for rental but don't commit. If I could make that dive, I will bring extra tank and weight for you.

My advice would to have been find another boat to go out on. The Great Escape is one of the frw boats that I know of that does not provide tanks and weight. The whole program with them is low budget, and you get what you pay for. Slow boat, crowded deck, bring your own gear, you want food? that will be another $10, etc.

My advice would to have been find another boat to go out on. The Great Escape is one of the frw boats that I know of that does not provide tanks and weight. The whole program with them is low budget, and you get what you pay for. Slow boat, crowded deck, bring your own gear, you want food? that will be another $10, etc.

Many boats in So Cal do not offer tanks and weights, or do so only as an extra with special arrangements. The Great Escape is slow but that's because it's a big roomy boat. Food is not extra, it's included in the charter price, only alchohol is extra.

Have you even been on the GE?
Food - free and outstanding.
Slow - certainly not the slowest SoCal boat.
Crowded deck - we had 27 divers last weekend and plenty of room for all.
Beer - Cold and not free but they did have it!

Outstanding Captain and crew.

If Captain Tim has not yet responded to your tank and weights inquiry, let me know and I will make sure they are there for you.

The GE might be a bit slow but it is very big and comfortable. I also can only think of one boat that provides tanks as a standard. The rest might offer it but not on a regular basis.

Dude, what are you talking about? Not the slowest boat, one of the faster boats in fact. Largest deck in So Cal. You bring your own gear on ALL the boats. Food IS included.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Captain Tim has not yet responded to your tank and weights inquiry, let me know and I will make sure they are there for you.
Thanks Terry, I sent you a PM. Right now it looks like I am being well cared for by the nice SBers in Southern California :)

It sounds like you had some kind of bad experience that others here have not. Maybe you are thinking of a different boat since I know the food is included on the GE. They do seem to be somewhat unique in not having a partnership with a dive shop to provide tanks & weights, (hence my original post) but it all seems to be working out.

To be honest, when I dive here in Boston, I don't even think to ask if they provide tanks & weights, cause I bring my own, but when you travel by air.. well that's a different story.
I'm guessing that dive boats that are not in touristy locations like the Carribean or the Florida Keys cater mostly to locals who either want to use their own gear or book through a dive shop or club.

Hey, the last boat I was on was Mike Balls' Spoilsport. I'm not expecting ANYTHING like that in CA. Just get me to a great place to dive, fill my tank (or a tank) and get me home. The food, the cabin to sleep in and a great crew are all appreciated extras!

Frank

Frank,

It looks like I'm free on 31 JAN 09 dive, so I can bring you a 100-cf steel tank and weights. This tank has -6lbs buoyancy so that's 6-lbs less weight you have to carry.

Let me know if you still want me to bring tank and some soft weights (I don't have hard weights).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom