Great Dive Shop! - KOHALA DIVERS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First I would like to say that I had no intention of insulting chazdonaldson , colonelchuck, or their diving abilities, but what was said about Kohala Divers being a terrible dive shop is true. If not for forums like this, and direct word of mouth, other unsuspecting divers especially from the mainland would be unaware of bad companies like Kohala Divers. I unfortunately received extremely poor customer service from this dive shop, and want other divers to be aware.
As for Kohala Diver’s dive boat, there is absolutely no comparison to other good operators like Jack’s Locker, Big Island Divers, Honu Divers, and the Mauna Lani Resort. All of these are in Kona except the Mauna Lani Resort that dives North & South Kohala. One of the great things about the Big Island is you don’t need a boat at all. There are tons of excellent shore dives, and you can be in the water way before the boats even show up. If you are looking to buy gear or get tanks filled there is a good dive shop in Waimea called Blue Wilderness, or if in Kona try Jacks Locker, Big Island Divers, or anything but Kohala Divers. You will be glad you did!

Thanks for the heads up... I have dove with Kohala Divers before and it wasn't that good... Been there done that... wouldn't do it again...

I hope you don't mind that I jump in on this post. I am heading to the Big Island Dec 24th-31st. Just made airline res and still have to find a place to stay. I don't know much about the island have been researching but lots of info to muddle through.

I would like to shore dive mostly but interested in a few boat dives, maybe, depending on how well the shore dives go. Can anyone offer info on some good shore dives?

I am looking for a condo preferably, ocean views hopefully, clean, nice not too far from being able to get to some restaurants, nightlife, etc...any suggestions of what part of town I should look at? (also based on shore dives)

And of course any recommendations on good eats!

Any help would be appreciated.....Thanks...:D

Here is a good website for shore dives Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands. You have a variety of options for lodging. Not sure what your price range is, but a great way to go is a vacation retail. There are lots of them and they rent daily, weekly, or whatever you need. You can look them up at West Hawaii Today. If you want to be around any night life, and most of the dining you will want to stay in Kona off Alii Dr. You will also be close to several shore dives there. The good dive operators I recommend are listed in my previous post. Aloha, I hope this helps.

Hawaiidiver59:
thanks for qualifying your previous post. I will take it all into consideration. I was planning on shore diving a lot this time around as a lot of the spots I did on the boats last time were so close to shore. seemed like a waste.
I was interested in an operation in this area beause i wanted to try some different spots. As much as i enjoyed diving there in the past, I can't help but feel that there are many other areas with more to see that I was mising. With such a big Island, I fealt I was missing some of the best diving by staying so close to the kona harbor.

Aloha, Do yourself a huge favor and don’t go to Kohala Divers! There are so many better dive operations on the Big Island. Kohala Divers is the worst dive shop on the Big Island, and I should know because I live here. None of the local divers I know will step a foot in Kohala Divers. Kohala Divers customer service is horrid, and Kohala Divers boat dives are notorious for being bad. Kohala Divers terrible service is a running joke among divers in our dive club, because we have all been disappointed by Kohala Divers. Your best bet for a great dive is Jack's Locker or Honu Divers.
I’m curious what in more detail is so bad, terrible disappointing etc? I’ve not seen such a harsh review before. I’ve done some dives out that way and enjoyed them, would like to see more there.
What is your dive club? What do you do or its benefits? Can anyone join?

Hawaiidiver59:
thanks for qualifying your previous post. I will take it all into consideration. I was planning on shore diving a lot this time around as a lot of the spots I did on the boats last time were so close to shore. seemed like a waste.
I was interested in an operation in this area beause i wanted to try some different spots. As much as i enjoyed diving there in the past, I can't help but feel that there are many other areas with more to see that I was mising. With such a big Island, I fealt I was missing some of the best diving by staying so close to the kona harbor.
Puako is near, further south is Two Step and Paradise Park for shore and I like them.

Not following the waste – these sites for the most part are boat dives and not shore dives. Trust me I’d swim out if it was more reasonable or there was access. Eel Garden for example is right off shore and I have access to that portion of shore (I work there). I’ve not found a way out and if anyone could tell me where, I’d defiantly pop in for the Manta dive.
The Kona Coast topography is a narrow edge and drops off, one reason it’s famed for deep sea fishing and short pleasant boat dives. Look at an ocean map of the Kona Coast, there aren’t outlying reefs, or wrecks to visit (or I’m sure they would.)
It’s my guess the customers in a way dictate what sites and area guided. (I’m assuming boat charters have more control. When I’ve gone out with my LDS, unless all divers (in a group when they are split into) have computers, that group will remain above 60’ looking for critters. The Rabbi and Black Hole for example are deeper dives they will go to with advanced and computers. Buddy pairs can roam at will, briefing includes suggestions and cautions for them to explore including where to look for the special critters.
The bulk of boat divers are vacation divers traveling in (ergo group with DM) not locals vs. divers living within driving distance and frequenting the Ops that provide off shore diving opportunities and familiar the conditions or type of diving unlike many other locations in the US such the pacific. Maybe look at it this way; a vacation diver will travel to dive the Duane or The Molokini Black Wall or the Kona Coast.

Hawaiidiver59:

On "close to shore", many people do come over here and are surprised that the dives are close to shore, but this island is geologically very young... in a few million years it'll erode back to the mountains and will be surrounded by reefs that stretch outward for quite a ways, 'til then on much of the island if you throw a rock as far as you can, or take a pitching wedge to a golf ball, it'll land in water beyond recreational scuba depths. What the boats give you is access, access to spots you can't reach from shore, or that many divers would physically have a rough go of it. There are a handful of sites that have semi-ready shore access, but few operators park on them for both dives, and you are still gettting a guided dive that will show you the site in one dive that'd probably take you 3-5 or more dives to figure out on your own.

Kohala is a viable option if you want to get away from the sites you've been diving already. I had a customer last week who did both the Kona area and Kohala area on the same trip. I met with him again a couple days back and he said he enjoyed his dives with Kohala Divers just fine, funny thing though, he thought there were more fish down in this area. There's nothing wrong with a change of pace, and there's nothing wrong with shorediving, but it's not everybody's cup of tea.

Aloha,

I guess we're not going to hear back from the guy slamming this shop, so, I will assume he is full of it. I think I will try them.
I'll let you know how I do.

if you are prepared to, please do and let us know!

most SB'ers are wary of the one hit negative posters and i see that we have more than one on this thread

looking forward to your dive report - otherwise, unless someone wants to spot me airfare im happy to go test these guys out myself :D

cheers

Thanks for the info and links to the websites, every little bit helps. The reason I am looking for shore diving is Hubby has a tendency to get seasick and gets a little grumpy when that happens, doesn't make for much fun for anyone.

Looks like we'll be in the Kailua-Kona area...and the rest I'll figure out later. Just being near the water will be like coming home....woo hoo!

Back
Top Bottom