Great Dive Shop! - KOHALA DIVERS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chazdonaldson

Registered
Reaction score
Dive Shop:
Kohala Divers, LTD.
Kawaihae Shopping Center
P.O. Box 44940
Kawaihae, HI 96743
Phone: (808) 882-7774
Fax: (808) 882-1536

On our most recent trip to the Big Island, we decided that taking the 1-hour plus drive to Kona was just too much of a drag, so we started looking for a dive opportunity on the north end of the island. The first operation I came across in my search was KOHALA Divers, located in Kawaihae, which is a 10-minute drive from Waikoloa. This immediately appealed to us as it meant we didn’t have to deal with trying to get into Kona at rush hour. That drive is long and slow enough without the morning commute added, so we were ready to get to try a new location and shop. I didn’t see many reviews of the shop, but after two days with Kohala Divers, both the shop and the diving very pleasantly surprised us. I have often felt that the diving on the Big Island was pretty boring, same terrain and same fish, over and over again. Diving out of Kona harbor, no matter who was taking us out, there is not a lot of variety in terrain or animal life unless you take a long boat ride. Right away, when we arrived at Kohala Divers, the staff was extremely interested in finding out what we wanted to see, and what sorts of experiences we wanted to have. The first day we dove with Kohala Divers, I was hooked. The dive sites we visited were quite a bit more interesting than anything I have seen diving out of Kona. The variability of the terrain was incredible. We saw big valleys of coral, cave many swim-through areas for those who don’t like caves, huge mounds of lobe coral, and, of course, lava tubes. Unlike the Kona area, diving out of Kawaihae provided refreshingly different terrain, and many fish I have never seen in the Kona area. And, no long boat rides! Day one, we were on the first dive site in 20 minutes. Our first site was called The Dome, and it was a great example of how much more variety was available on the north end of the island. There were big spires of coral and lots of low overhangs for the more shy creatures to hide in. The dive masters (Robin and Gail) were some of the most professional and helpful I have ever encountered. They asked us what we wanted to see, and then made sure we actually saw it. Without keeping us on a short leash, they still made sure everyone saw the thing or critter that was promised (Hairy Hermit crabs, Spotted Eagle Rays, several fish unique to the area like the Black Butterfly). The other sites we visited were just as impressive (The Horseshoe was another awesome reef we visited). As for the equipment, the boat was very nice, not too crowded, and had all the amenities we are used to (including a head, which seems to be getting less common). Because we were diving so close to the harbor, we were able to get two dives in before noon, and then get back home to Waikoloa in 20 minutes for lunch. So, unless you really like long drives and flat dive sites, I would highly recommend driving up to Kawaihae and diving with Kohala Divers. You will be impressed, and come away with a very different picture of what diving in Hawaii is really like, especially if you have only been diving out of Kona.

Since Chaz is my son and dive buddy, perhaps this is overdoing, but I do have to add my 2 cents. While I like diving out of Kona better than he does (Jacks is excellent), I was also very impressed with Kohala Divers. They are a first class operation on a less visited part of the Kohala Coast. Give them a try.

Dive Shop:
Kohala Divers, LTD.
Kawaihae Shopping Center

Aloha, Do yourself a huge favor and don’t go to Kohala Divers! There are so many better dive operations on the Big Island. Kohala Divers is the worst dive shop on the Big Island, and I should know because I live here. None of the local divers I know will step a foot in Kohala Divers. Kohala Divers customer service is horrid, and Kohala Divers boat dives are notorious for being bad. Kohala Divers terrible service is a running joke among divers in our dive club, because we have all been disappointed by Kohala Divers. Your best bet for a great dive is Jack's Locker or Honu Divers.

Interesting! One post, new member, no public profile. Sounds like a competitor!

Based on 174 dives in a lot of different locations, I can only suggest that the post below is a bit over the top unless Kohala Divers has changed completely since September. My son, myslef and all the divers on the days we dived thought Kohola divers did an excellent job.

Dive Shop:
Kohala Divers, LTD.
Kawaihae Shopping Center

Aloha, Do yourself a huge favor and don’t go to Kohala Divers! There are so many better dive operations on the Big Island. Kohala Divers is the worst dive shop on the Big Island, and I should know because I live here. None of the local divers I know will step a foot in Kohala Divers. Kohala Divers customer service is horrid, and Kohala Divers boat dives are notorious for being bad. Kohala Divers terrible service is a running joke among divers in our dive club, because we have all been disappointed by Kohala Divers. Your best bet for a great dive is Jack's Locker or Honu Divers.

Aloha, Do yourself a huge favor and don’t go to Kohala Divers!
Signing up to immediately slam a shop is always a bit suspicious as to your motives. The posters specifically said they preferred not driving down to Kona, and were pleased with the dive shop they found.

Wow, I've lived here a pretty long time and haven't heard anything terrible about Kohala Divers. I've heard that they are a pretty good shop with nice diving.

One thing I do have a different opinion on is the variety of diving in Kona compared to the Kohala area. Don't get me wrong...the Kohala area dives are great. Very nice topography and marine life. But I have never heard of marine life that is seen in that area that would not be seen in Kona! Also, Kohala Diver's website lists 9 dive sites (yes, they probably have more)...but between the Kona and Red Hill areas there are TONS of sites. There is a lot of variety in the topgrpahy, very steep drop-offs, tubes, arches, canyons, etc. I would definitely disagree with the idea that Kohala has more variety and different marine life.

I can certainly understand how nice it would be not to have to drive so far. So it sounds like you've found a shop that meets your needs.

I would be interested in hearing more folks opinions on this. I am going to be in North Kona In Dec..We fell in love with the diving there on our first trip, but, didn't care for the drive in and out of town to do so. I plan on trying some different shops and shore dives this trip.
I got a bit bored after a few days out of Kona harbor. The boats tended to stay very close to the harbor and dive sites that were very similair.
I was considering a long range trip with big island divers to try and mix it up a bit. I may give this operation a try, as they are probably an easier drive from where I am staying ( above the airport?).
Thanks in advance....
Danny

I would be interested in hearing more folks opinions on this. I am going to be in North Kona In Dec..We fell in love with the diving there on our first trip, but, didn't care for the drive in and out of town to do so. I plan on trying some different shops and shore dives this trip.
I got a bit bored after a few days out of Kona harbor. The boats tended to stay very close to the harbor and dive sites that were very similair.
I was considering a long range trip with big island divers to try and mix it up a bit. I may give this operation a try, as they are probably an easier drive from where I am staying ( above the airport?).
Thanks in advance....
Danny
Great service and nice dive sites August 2006. Plan to dive with them again next visit.

I guess we're not going to hear back from the guy slamming this shop, so, I will assume he is full of it. I think I will try them.
I'll let you know how I do.

I dove at least a dozen times with Turner Lett when he opened and owned that shop. He was terrific. But he developed health problems and sold it, moving to Florida. But I was told he's kept tabs on the shop, certainly until at least a year or two ago. The place seemed ok when I stopped by last year to see if it was still open; no bad "vibes". But there have been a few other unhappy posts made about this shop previously.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom