GREAT Bonaire shore diving guide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadobadoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Originally Posted by herman in another thread...
"There is a book called "Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy" that is really good. Here is a link to the US person who handles orders. You can email her at the link at the bottom of the page. http://www.bonairetalk.com/cgi-local/bbs/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profile=suejt-users"

This is a nice little guide but I wouldn't call it GREAT! It is probably the best I have seen on Bonaire shore diving yet but I still think it's a little short on info for those of us planning our first trip to Bonaire. For example, the description of Bachelors Beach is only 6 sentences long without any photos. Is the shore diving simply that easy making a long description of the site over kill? I would pay even more for it if it had photos and maps of entry areas. For some reason, Bonaire has fewer up to date dive guides specifically for Bonaire than most other dive destinations. Why is that?

The best dive guide (especially for shore diving) I have ever owned is called A DIVER'S GUIDE TO CALIFORNIA'S BEST BEACH DIVES by Dale and Kim Sheckler. It has several color photos(for each site), detailed maps(for each site) , and other VERY detailed info on wind direction, marine life, driving directions, and tips to make your experience easier. All this for just $23.95. Why can't I find anything like this on Bonaire written in the last few years? Oh, I forgot another awesome guide to shore diving is Shine's A SHORE DIVING GUIDE TO NEW ENGLAND. Shine's book certainly rivals the Sheckler guide! Any suggestions on where to find similiarly writted guides to Bonaire shore diving? Thanks! Heading to Bonaire in May for the first time and can't wait. We love to shore dive! Perhaps we are just way too used to shore diving being a hassle or a workout, and that's just not the case in Bonaire...

The link is just part of Herman's original post from a previous thread that I did a cut and past job on. I decided to start a new thread on this same subject not to suggest this book, but to ask if a better one exists. The original link leads you to a place where you can buy the above mentioned bonaire book but doesn't say much about it so being able to use the link won't really help. Nonetheless, thanks, I think I fixed the link.

I guess the real question is, does a very detailed book dedicated to Bonaire shore diving exist? One as detailed as the guides that I mention above for other destinations? Specifically Shine's and Sheckler's guides?

It's really that easy. We tried something like 20 of the dives in the book on our trip and being there, combined with the info in the book and a bit of common sense, is really all you need.

Where there is a tricky entrance/exit or something to watch out for (current, deep, etc.), the book mentions it. Where the book is silent, it's safe to assume entry/exit is a piece of cake.

I understand where you're coming from, by the way. I love to read every scrap of info I can get my hands on before vacationing somewhere. I, too, got my hands on the same guide and was a little frustrated with its lack of detail. Once you get there, you'll appreciate that book. In the meantime, if you want some pictures and general descriptions of what you're going to be seeing, try this book. It's not the best dive book I've ever owned, but it did give me some bonaire specific pictures and dialogue to obsess over before my trip.

D_O_H:
It's really that easy. We tried something like 20 of the dives in the book on our trip and being there, combined with the info in the book and a bit of common sense, is really all you need.

Where there is a tricky entrance/exit or something to watch out for (current, deep, etc.), the book mentions it. Where the book is silent, it's safe to assume entry/exit is a piece of cake.

I understand where you're coming from, by the way. I love to read every scrap of info I can get my hands on before vacationing somewhere. I, too, got my hands on the same guide and was a little frustrated with its lack of detail. Once you get there, you'll appreciate that book. In the meantime, if you want some pictures and general descriptions of what you're going to be seeing, try this book. It's not the best dive book I've ever owned, but it did give me some bonaire specific pictures and dialogue to obsess over before my trip.

Good news! Turns out my wife just bought that book and it's in the mail! Ofcourse shore diving (.com) is also a great resource but I can't take that with me to Bonaire unless I bring the laptop and I think I decided not to for security reasons and I don't even know if buddy dive has a wireless connection or if my computer would fit in the room safe. Anyone? Thanks for chiming in!

No, crime isn't that bad (unless you leave your laptop in the truck at a dive site) but I am always careful with my computer at any hotel while travelling anywhere. Reports of crime on Bonaire are plentiful on any of the boards but I really don't want this thread to turn into a "crime on Bonaire" thread. Crime happens. I live in NYC and am just naturally paranoid, lol!:wink:

A lot of the shore dives really don't require much description. When you get in the area of the salt works, you have one site after another after another after another that are just different spots on the same shoreline.

Some of the shore sites definitely require good desriptions and directions, though.

Although I do think Bonaire is a great dive location, I have to admit that the different dive sites are also pretty similar once you are under water. They are all very good, but they don't have the variety of formations you may find in some other places.

If you're looking for variation in architecture, try different sides of the island (weather permitting).

The point of Caribbean diving for me really isn't the shape or pitch of the wall.

Go slow, perfected buoyancy, get in close, use a magnifying glass, find the cool stuff.

Bonaire is lousy with Frogfish. Spend your dives perfecting your abilities to the point where you are relaxed enough to spot them.

Bonaire is a great dive destination and no- the book isn't necessary if all it has is dive site info. Depending upon availability, good guides are to be had from the Government.

Go, have fun, leave nothing in your vehicle, dive your brains out. Eat some goat stew. Drink a Heinekin. Report back later.

Back
Top Bottom