Grand Cayman Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blaronn:
Great trip reports, tvictory & worlddiver. I'm heading to GC a week from today. First dive since getting OW certification. No idea what I'm getting myself into but definitely looking forward to it (much better than 15' of murky lake water I'm sure!) We're considering 3-4 dive outfits based on recommendations from this forum. All I've spoken to so far have sounded great. Too many questions to ask, but here are a couple... If I'm staying on 7 Mile Beach and I'm a newbie, would it be wise to stick with west-side dive operators and not mess with the east side at all? Should I book ahead or just get there and pick something close to our lodging? (not planning on renting a car) How much of a factor is weather in planning GC dives? (i.e., does it often get too windy/choppy/bad weather in some parts to dive?) Thanks, and great forum!!

The west side is good, just stay on the more northern part. You must do Sting Ray City while there, you could also do the north wall. The East side is along ways from 7 mile beach. Book ahead if possible, some ops have deals when booking ahead. Just find someone not too far from where you are at, most will pick you up. Weather is not a factor usually on GC the ops will take you to the best area (most calm) if (and a BIG if) there was weather. I've never...ever seen a problem with the weather, but of course I've heard of it, aside from their most recent hurricane .

Welcome to the board! :crafty:

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

If you are staying along the west side (Georgetown, Seven Mile Beach, or West Bay) then it is a bit of a haul to the East End for diving. That said, there is currently only one dive operator up and running in East End. Ocean Frontiers is that operation, and I think they are still doing pickups by van for guests staying on the west side.

(East End aficiandos should note that Cayman Dive Lodge plans to rebuild, and Tortuga Divers intends to reopen on the Morritt's Tortuga Club is ready for guests. Both could take many more months, at least.)

Weather is remarkably steady in terms of all factors except wind speed and direction. Since wind drives waves, this can affect your diving. The great majority of the time (90%+), the wind is from some easterly direction (northeast dominates in winter, southeast in summer) giving the west side typically calm seas year-round as it is the downwind shore. Wind can blow out diving along the north shore (Cayman's North Wall) quite regularly in winter. Spring can be hit-or-miss, though we've been seeing a few more southeast wind days lately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom