Grand Cayman Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tvictory

Contributor
Reaction score
We’ve recently returned from a two week trip to Grand Cayman, staying at Cobalt Coast and diving with Divetech. Our original plan had been to do one week in the West Bay area and a second week at Cayman Diving Lodge at East End. After Hurricane Ivan demolished most of East End, we were fortunate to be able to add a second week at Cobalt Coast.

We arrived on November 20th, the first day that overnight visitors were allowed back onto the island. As the plane came in on final approach, we saw thousands of blue tarpaulins covering roofs everywhere. On land, the remnants of the storm were visible, not only in the remaining debris but in the starkness of areas where all trees and vegetation had been blown away. Obviously, some people suffered more than others, but everyone we met seemed genuinely relieved to be resuming their old routines. Before the storm, Divetech’s two boats had been tied to the dock at the Yacht Club. After the storm, they were found, relatively intact, in the mangrove trees about a quarter mile from the water (along with the dock they had been tied to). The Divetech staff had spent the post-storm months repairing the boats and the dive shops, and everyone was ready to get back to diving.

On the afternoon of our arrival, we had hoped to do a shore dive from the Cobalt Coast pier but, the wind had been blowing hard from the Northeast and the breakers were pounding the end of the dock. Alas, the wind persisted throughout our stay, but there were several days when shore diving was OK from the CC pier (try the scooters if you want to go all the way out to the deep wall). Shore dives were doable most days at Turtle Reef, although the seas were pretty choppy there too.

The typical dive day starts with breakfast at 6:45 (I know…, but you get used to it). Dive starts at 7:45. Most days we were driven by minibus to the West Bay boat landing where we boarded the boats for the short run to the sites along the West and Northwest walls. On several days, we were able to board the boats at Cobalt Coast, but this was dicey due to the choppy seas and shallow bottom. We were able to dive some of the great sites on the North Wall (notably Ghost Mountain, a mind-blower) but the seas were high and the current strong. Most divers preferred the easier conditions on the still-spectacular W/NW sites. The payoff for the early start is that they plan for two sixty-minute dives with an intervening surface interval of 45 minutes. If you don’t have a computer, Divetech will loan you one for free. As long as you had enough air (or other gas of choice) you could generally do the first dive to 100+ feet yet get in the full 60 minutes by finishing the dive on top at about 40 feet. Second dives were in the 50-60 foot range and were beautiful and were easily within a 60 minute no-deco profile. After unloading at the public dock we were driven back to the resort, usually by about 11:45.

I had expected that the reefs would have sustained more storm damage than I actually saw. At the shallower depths there was some damage to the corals and sponges, and there often seemed to be a dusting of sand on the shallow structures. Below about 40 feet, though, I noticed little damage. The DMs said that on many of the swim-thru dives (such as Trinity Caves, Big Tunnels, Little Tunnels and Round Rock) the tunnels had actually been enlarged by the displacement of sand and were more accessible to divers. The most startling sight on the reef was the detritus that must have blown off the island during the storm. Flower pots, a lampshade, a bright orange traffic cone, various articles of clothing, items of lawn furniture and an upholstered sofa cushion. Divers were encouraged to help clean up if so inclined.

Divetech put two DMs in the water on every dive, and you were welcome to follow them or do your own thing. Water temperature was consistently 82F (84 at Stingray City). Visibility averaged 70-80ft. There was abundant fish life, and on many dives I could have logged 60+ species using the REEF method. Turtles and eels were spotted on almost every dive. Groupers, snappers, tarpon and every kind of parrot, angel and filefish. Schools of jack and chub and parades of Creole wrasse. At the Turtle Reef shore dive, I must have seen 15 lobsters.

Meanwhile, back at Cobalt Coast…, this place has the nicest accommodations we’ve ever encountered at a serious dive resort. The rooms are large with European-style furniture and appointments, cable TV, DVD, phone, fridge, coffee maker, electronic safe, etc. (Wireless internet is available in the bar/restaurant area, but BYOC). Bathrooms were spacious with great showers and big thick bath towels. Also blow-dryer and ironing board for that high-maintenance diver! Breakfast is included in the room rate. When there are many divers in the house, breakfast is served as a buffet beginning at 6:45.Fruit, juices, eggs, bacon, sausages, potatoes, toast, French toast or pancakes, yoghurt, cereals, etc. On days with fewer divers, breakfast is served a la carte.

We chose the all-inclusive meal plan which includes lunch and dinner and all tips and taxes. Unless you rent a car or plan to spend a lot of time and money on taxis, this is your best bet as there really are no restaurant alternatives nearby and the prices are very high. Unlike many AI plans, lunch and dinner are not served as buffet or family-style meals. You can show up when you want and you order from the menu, the same menu offered to the public. Lunch is a choice among salads, sandwiches, pastas, platters, etc. Dinner includes choice of starter, entrée and dessert. There are specials offered every day and the chef is very good. A few items (e.g. lobster or strip steak) have a small surcharge. Bar charges are not included and, like everywhere in the Caymans, they are on the expensive side.

Arie, the founder and owner of Cobalt Coast, is a Dutch ex-pat with many years experience in the hospitality industry. You will see Arie at 6:45 helping to set out the breakfast and he’s still there after dinner to wish you goodnight. He’s a true, old-fashioned host and, along with Dora and the rest of the CC staff, they make you feel at home. Nancy and the whole crew at Divetech are equally solicitous (and these guys are also into deep air, technical, trimix, rebreather, etc., in case you’re looking for something different). We’ll certainly be going back.

Thanks for the trip report. I've been to Cobalt Coast/Dive Tech several times over the past couple of years and absolutely love the place. Can't wait for my return trip in May!!!

Thanks for posting. Glad to hear that GC is open for business.

Sounds like your stay at the Cobalt was a good one.Glad to hear you had a good time with Divetech. Nancy and her staff are wonderful people. I am looking forword to my next trip there. Turtle Gal

Thanks for the great and detail report. I have dove with DT at Turtle reef for years and been very happy with them. Nancy does run a good op.

I was going to do a trip report of our dive vacation over Christmas week at Cobalt Coast/Divetech but after reading your trip report we would just like to add to your report.

Arie and Dora at Cobalt Coast Resort was a grand host and hostess. You would never know that they went through a Cat 5 hurricane in September. The staff has changed since last year but they were all great.

Diving was the best (marine life) we have ever seen in the 22 years we have been going to Cayman. We logged 33 dives in our 10 day stay. Divetech has started ALL computer diving and if you don't have a computer they provide one for Free. Also new was the boat diving profiles. Two one hour dives, of course no decompression diving allowed and we could dive to 130 feet which was needed when the DM took us to Ghost Mountain with the swim through the mountain at 120 feet. There was a 12' nurse shark at the exist. What a rush........ The marine life was just unbeliveable, schools of jacks, wahoo, tarpon, blue tangs, eagle rays, turtles and the list goes on. The local fisherman said that they have not seen the fishing as good as this in 20 years. I can relate to that by see first hand.

We did not want to dive West until Gary the boat captain said you have to see what the hurricane uncovered. Boy was he right on... He showed us a new swim through at Orange Canyon that started at 60 feet and kick us out on the deep wall at 125 feet. Another rush......

The shore diving in front of the hotel was just the best. We did a total of 6 night dives. One night, I counted 12 lobsters, 4 carribbean crabs and 3 octopus. One octopus was on my hand for at least 10 minutes check me out, another rush.......

Can not wait for our summers trip with the kids. If you have kids 5-13 years they run a kids sea camp in July that we did last year. Our kids never had so much fun......

Divetech is living up to there new slogan. Freedom, Saftey and Adventure

Nancy and the whole dive staff were just awesome. See you this summer..........

Hello Tvictory,

We would love to meet up with your family this summer. We are booked for the 2nd week of the Kids Sea Camp which is August 1st-8th.

See You there.....

We are looking forwords to our next trip to GC this Summer.How do the land attractions? Turtle Gal

Great trip reports, tvictory & worlddiver. I'm heading to GC a week from today. First dive since getting OW certification. No idea what I'm getting myself into but definitely looking forward to it (much better than 15' of murky lake water I'm sure!) We're considering 3-4 dive outfits based on recommendations from this forum. All I've spoken to so far have sounded great. Too many questions to ask, but here are a couple... If I'm staying on 7 Mile Beach and I'm a newbie, would it be wise to stick with west-side dive operators and not mess with the east side at all? Should I book ahead or just get there and pick something close to our lodging? (not planning on renting a car) How much of a factor is weather in planning GC dives? (i.e., does it often get too windy/choppy/bad weather in some parts to dive?) Thanks, and great forum!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom